Thinking About Drought / Heat Tolerant Border.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Daniel W, Jul 17, 2024.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

As the summer progresses, I am less able to keep up with watering the border that is now in full sun. It currently has large sedums, that I don't water, and some plants that I do water - Four O'Clocks, mini dahlias, and container pelargoniums, one lavender plant, and some eucalyptus.

The area has a thick tree chip mulch that I will add to this fall / winter.

For next year, I want to establish more very dry tolerant, full sun perennials that deer and rabbits don't eat. If I can plant some this fall / winter, I hope they will establish for next year.

They need to survive winter here, rarely down to 10F. Im zone 8b.

Do you have thoughts about the following?

Kniphofia - there are some in various colors. I know they survive in this area.

Lychnis astrosanguinia - I've seen these around here too. I like the furry grey leaves.

Hesperaloe parviflora (Texas yucca)

Salvia dorrii 'Desert Purple Sage'

Salvia pachiphylla "Mojave Sage"

Stachys byzantina.

I'm pretty sure I will add more lavender plants and a rosemary plant, although rosemary grows pretty large.

Any experiences with these? I need low maintenance, not invasive, more clumpy.

I might overwinter a few pelargoniums because some do well there but can't survive the winter outdoors here.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. cherylad
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Daniel W every plant you named will do well in our zone 8b . I have grown them over the years easy care once winter has arrived and cleaning up beds is ok to take your time. I just leave some and do others rather than all at once.
    Agastaache, aconitum, achemillia mollis, asters, lady fern, cinnamon fern, aucuba, Baptisia , Calluna,
    Caryopterus, camilla , Clerodendrum, Helleboreus. Sedum Hylotelephium spectabile, Dysosma 'Spotty Dotty',
    Erica, hardy impatiens, Lewisia.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
    Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

It is not on your list Daniel, but Sea Holly is one my favourite drought tolerant and "deer don't want to eat them" perennials. Although it is looks thistle like- the leaves, stalks and flowers on mine are all purple so they are quite striking. The deer don't like the pokey factor. I'm slowly propagating mine and placing them along the borders of the memory garden to help with the deer resistance and drought tolerance. The seeds require a little special care for vernalizing but once that is accomplished germination is easy. I have second year good growth now.

Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I think I'll also divide the Crocosmia this fall. They meet all of the criteria - I never water them, they clump, the clumps grow larger but they are not invasive, they survive the winters here just fine, and the flowers are beautiful. Deer and rabbits don't eat them. Hummingbirds like them.

IMG_8799.jpeg

Here are some of the other species mentioned above.

Knophofia
    IMG_8696.jpeg

IMG_8697.jpeg

Lychnis
    IMG_8698.jpeg

I grew Stachys before but other plants crowded it out.

I already have Mirabilis there. I'm watering them this year but next year might not.

Also Alstroemeria. These never get extra water.

IMG_8800.jpeg
    Those are old ones. I have new ones I grew this year from seeds, haven't bloomed yet. Hoping for more colors. I may also plant the dwarf potted ones there too.

The Knophofia and Lychnis images were from Bluestone perennials.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
    Jewell, Sjoerd, Frank and 1 other person like this.

Advertisement
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Thanks @Pacnorwest and @Melody Mc. for your suggestions. I will look them up.

Mel, I was thinking about sea holly. I wondered how stickery they are to work with. I never get ahead of Canada thistle for that reason.

Pac, I have several clumps of Autumn Joy sedum. I think I grew Hylotelphium type but it died off. Maybe the variety "Karfunkelstein" because I like the name.
    it sounds like one of my distant relatives.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel nice pics of beautiful plants /flowers . You already have a pretty good list of drought tolerant plants.

All the plants I listed are also critter proof or they would not be in my garden .

I highly recommend Eryngium maritimum - sea holly .They really aren’t prickley until dried. Just use leather gloves. They are very attractive in any garden - a show stopper. Do require some water. I use them a lot in dried floral arrangement’s. Don’t last long in my garden. Under- Ground critters.

I highly recommend Baptista they have blue and yellow flowered types bluegreen leaves and well mannered growing habit. They are in a no water zone and so are the grapes . They are highly established. Grapes are a pain to trim & long life plants. I like to use the long vines to make wreaths for the Holidays.

Have you tried Naked Lady’s just need to separate the bulbs every few years. They are in a no water zone.
    Another no water zone plant are the Foxtail Lily’s and no critters.

Knophofia - yikes Took over my garden and I used a pick ax to dig them all out. And they are back…yours are very beautiful I especially like the lime green/yellow combo.

I also have had good luck with Stachys byzantina. Would be happy to share some starts in fall. I just luv the velvety leaves can’t stop touching…or send fresh seed in the fall. They require water and afternoon shade.

Sedum common name Stone crop have been in my garden for many years no water. Get shade from west sun.
    No water zone.

Yarrow and Russian sage in no water zone once established no ground critters or deer.

Here is a pic. I would be happy to send you some starts in fall. 3’tall and bees luv the flowers. In a no water zone.

IMG_1779.jpeg

IMG_1780.jpeg

And if you want a really odd ball shrub try the Bladder Senna (Colutea arborescen) nice background shrub no water zone. Keeps the deer from jumping the fence. See slide for full size of shrub approx. 6x6’.
    IMG_1782.jpeg

Attached Files:

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

They don't spread like thistle at all. :) At least not where I live. I've had my sea holly for 20 years and I've had about 7 volunteers?? The actual plant has spread to the size of a dinner plate over those years. I don't blame you for being thistle wary. I'm going out at 5 am tomorrow to cut off blooms and bag them.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.