Thinking Of Riley

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Last week we saw on the BBC a show called, “The Repair Shop” (Season 6, episode 2). It was a fun show to watch and one of the things brought in to be fixed was an old jukebox. There was a story along with this machine involving the man’s late wife. The real interesting part was that they took the jukebox apart and repaired it. I found it fascinating and of course thought of our mate, Riley the whole time.

Riley, if you did not see the episode, perhaps you would be interested to watch it. It is available on iPlayer, so I can’t put a link on here for those folks who do not live in Britain.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Thanks for that but it was a repeat, so I've seen it before.

They've repaired several jukeboxes in the past. But I've never been impressed with the sound.
    Very litle bass. They have two 12" bass speakers.
    I don't think they spend enough time on restoring the amplifiers, which often need re-capping and some resistors replaced. They seem more concerned with the cosmetic aspects as these have more appeal to the viewers. A proper "restore" could cost £1,000. So the owner isn't going to complain.

They did use an old record for the "reveal."

But it didn't sound as good as does this one of mine. I used a little digital camera, that will make short videos, not the expensive ones the BBC use. I think this sounds better on my laptop than their's did on my Sony TV.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Chuckle! We have a true expert in our midst!

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You can say that again, Cayu. I twigged that Riley would have some informed comments to make.

Riley—I was sure that it was a repeat because it was only series 6. Our cable company hires the old ones from the Beeb, so all we get to see are old repeats, like the ongoing Escape To The Country series’. Anyway, thanks for commenting on this thread, and playing Tina to show off your very smart machine.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Even the ones on the BBC are repeats at the moment, they are on series 8. Quest is showing series 7.

This is the younger of my two jukeboxes, made in 1976.

These weigh about 300lb.

When you consider an iPod the size of a packet of cigarettes can perform the same function.....

Though this does have additional features. The coin mechanism can be factory set to accept the coins from any particular country, it will refuse coins that aren't of the correct diameter, thickness, or weight.
    This one is set to accept old ten and fifty pence pieces. I managed to get a lot from a charity shop over ten years ago. I just paid the face value of them. They didn't know why I wanted them, if they did ,they might have wanted more.

The box I opened controls the number of plays you get for one 10p, multiples of 10p, in this case seven for five 10p coins and seven for a 50p. I can change these around if I chose. The other jukebox is on free-play. No coins are required.

Likewise, my two wall boxes that play tracks on iTunes playlists on old iPods, through my vintage hi-fi, the one on the left is on freeplay and this one is also, one play for 10p seven for 50p.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022