This Super Bowl thing

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Feb 13, 2022.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

There has been news discussions, articles, and all sorts of hype about the Super Bowl. Why are so many people excited about a huge cauldron of soup? I like cooking shows, but discussing soup for hours on end--I don't get it.
    In the 50 or so years it has been going on, we've never watched it, including the "pregame shows". What is that about--prepping to make the soup? Cutting vegetables, making broth, how can that take so much time? There is a finite number of soups, and I think after 50 or so, the Super Bowl of soup must be coming to an end.
    Rather than watching a big bowl of soup tonight, we are watching bull riding, also known as "hey bull, if you don't buck well, you're hamburger."

Daniel W and Droopy like this.
  2. Loading...

3. harrylee

harrylee Seedling

Never been a football fan, but I'm not American either. It seems to be all about the dough these days as most things are. I wouldn't be allowed to watch anyways even if I wanted to.....Big Brother is on......lol

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

marlingardener likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

:smt044 What would we do without you Jane?

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well Eileen, this would be a calmer, saner forum! But I'll stick around to mix things up a bit.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

To watch and enjoy the Superbowl you have to be able to "multi-task," to appreciate what the offence are trying to do, not just watch the quarterback. It's not like association football.
    Knowing the rules which are quite complicated helps. That's why there are seven officials for a game, there's so much happening.
    Each team has a "playbook" the size of a telephone directory, with dozens of different running or passing plays wehich the players have to know. It's quite sophisticated.
    I always record the "Monday Night Games" on C5 and watch them the following day, as they start around midnight over here and last for about three and a bit hours.

I've watched the games when they've been on TV over here, since the days of Dan Marino and Joe Montana.

Oiur youngest son from the age of eighteen, played wide receiver/tight end (big lad) for an amateur team in the UK for nearly ten years. The games were on Sundays and my wife and I went to most of them around the North of England.

I'll be watching the Superbowl tonight as it will be too wet for golf tomorrow.

I know there's a lot of college football on American TV, with attendances far in excess of those for many Premiership games over here. But their equivalent of the Premiership, teams in the AFC and NFC play only 16 games in the regular season, so only eight at home in stadiums that can cost over a billion dollars to build.

Here, there's more than twice as many leaguue matches, plus theLeague Cup, FA Cup and two European Cup competitions. Far too much football.

Now as for cookery programmes, they're an instant turn-off for me. There's so many of them, as they are cheap to produce.
    Why people bother to watch when you can neither smell nor taste what they are cooking, is beyond me. You might as well buy a book of recipes.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Other than Rodeo,,, I hate sports period !! Wonder how those players would do on that bull ?

marlingardener likes this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I love a good bowl of soup. Since I enjoyed the Great British Bake-Off, maybe I should watch that Souper Bowl! Maybe I will learn a new recipe!:)

marlingardener, Sjoerd and eileen like this.