This time hit by Lightning

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by koszta kid, Aug 23, 2014.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

About 2am. Big thunder storm.And Lightning hit house. Glad it did not catch on fire. Jumped right out of bed.1/2 phones TV few lights. Answering machine.And all on Surge protector .First flood now this.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Your weather just doesn't give you a break, does it? I'm so sorry you were hit, but so glad you weren't hurt or that the house wasn't burned. You have earned the right to shake your fist at the sky! :smt013

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So glad to hear you weren't harmed by the lightning. There are usually many house fires from lightning strikes around here during a big storm.

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am so sorry. You have really gone through allot. So glad the house didn't burn or that you weren't harmed.

Advertisement
  6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Just put window AC today. Not needed them. But if had been in last night. Would have been fried also I think

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My oh My! You seem to be getting everything there! Stay safe. maybe even consider moving East?... We don't have nearly the weather you have. Ours is usually pretty calm.

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Lightning is a real destroyer and in my old place when ever there is a thunderstorm the power will always trip because of the close proximity of the lightning strike. I do not know why but I think some places just attract lightning. Glad that you are all safe.

9. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Friend coming to put new lights in basement Tuesday night. Going to ask him about whole house surge protector. Minister said he got hit last storm. Came through water pipes also Blew small in metal pipe.

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

So sorry to hear this. I co-worker's house was recently struck by lightning too. ALL of her electronic stuff from garage door opener to TVs, computers and home security was fried. They are finally getting everything replaced and working again.
    Glad you are safe... and good luck!

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Thank goodness you weren't injured and there wasn't a fire. I hope your insurance is covering some of your losses. Have you checked to see if a whole house surge protector will withstand a direct lightening strike? I just thought...would a fire alarm be disabled by a lightening strike? I would check into that also.

12. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

most of our fire alarms-not hard wired. Batteries -change them every 6 months-time changed Will check new one put in bedroom -it's wired.

13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Guy told he got charged $400 to have whole house Surge protector. Guy who does our electric work-said he got taken big time. Going to $125 for us.Lot of insurance company requiring you have them installed.

14. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

I'm glad to hear you didn't suffer any major damage from the lightning, a strike can be devastating. My parents had problems with power spikes damaging some of their appliances a few years ago. I bought some varistors (this is the part that's in surge protectors) and my Dad installed them on the outlets where the appliances were plugged in. If you are handy and comfortable working with electricity, you can install some with very little effort and expense. A local electronics supplier will have them in stock, ask for one rated for 150 to 170 volts (In the US, that is. If you're in a country where the mains power is higher, add 20 to 25 volts to the mains power and use that rating). The price here is less than $1.00 each. If they don't immediately know what a varistor is, go somewhere else. There are no substitutes. There are two wires going to the electrical plug. One is hot, the other is neutral. Most modern wiring also includes a ground connection, but that's not used here. Connect one wire of the varistor to hot, and the other to neutral. Make sure the varistor wires don't touch anything metal when you replace the socket. Once this is done, you should be protected from power spikes. You won't get full protection from a direct lightning strike, lightning has a habit of doing what it pleases no matter what you do. This will, however, protect you from the spikes that are generated when limbs short out the power line somewhere between you and the power source, and it might even help save you if your neighbors house is hit.

15. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Our insurance lady said her phone has rang off the hook. lot of damage. We had had many trees trimmed back by power lines. Our friend who does our wiring bought the 2 breakers and going to install them this coming week. but been un plugging many things.when not watching tv or on cp off it goes.