Three For The Price Of One

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Strawberries, ahh strawberries. The Strawberry Fairy has come to West-Friesland, bringing juicy memories of sweet strawbs right off the plant, breakfast strawbs, strawberry shortcake and of course…jam.

I recall when they first showed colour.
    E4B4ACD9-B314-4F19-913A-B9B6965D4E1A.jpeg

Just another few days and we had our first harvest; small but we enjoyed it with gusto.
    900683F0-5097-4F38-9CB4-86F356A043D3.jpeg

We had enough for this:
    A1E06E86-3B6E-4668-A244-06168EA8E411.jpeg

C4270867-CF61-4EC0-92F0-355AFDD95ABA.jpeg

As the days went by, the voles became more greedy. They were taking almost as much as we were. Finally the plants in this bed began yielding an enormous amount, there was enough for us and them. Not that I wanted to share, I just could not catch those little hufters.
    7C692368-251B-4F12-84A9-06653D1B1E2B.jpeg

From that point we were harvesting so much so fast that we actually had too much. We were jamming, giving away and eating them all kinds of ways. Jam stock replacement was the main focus. Making jam is a warm job but sorta fun and great to see on the pantry shelves.
    83CC411B-F231-44C4-8C90-17DB4B7841D6.jpeg

Our technique is refined and the actual process goes quickly. I mean, I enjoy the process, but the real fun happens at the end after the jars are filled and we wait for them to cool. This is where the technical expertise comes in— we have to flip those scalding hot jars every 5-7 minutes.

We are waiting for two things to happen: the fruit bits to equally suspend in the jelling jam. Of course the real fun is waiting for the lids to “CLICK” in. Every time one does, we shout out “number two!” , or “number three!”. We like waiting for those clicks and counting them off. Naturally if one clicks as one of us is carefully flipping the jar over there is then a loud objection. They must do it “naturally”, you see.

Right then, you are probably thinking, “ All well and good, but how does the thread title fit in”?
    No, we are not pulling the wool over your eyes and actually buying our strawberries. Honest.
    Take a look:
    33DC018C-3666-4458-8220-9F27CEAF907D.jpeg

Yeah, yeah— it is only two for the price of one. You got me there.
    Stay with me, here is he then— look at the reflection on the granite.
    DAA45141-D34A-4DD8-9E26-BE6D88C04FAA.jpeg

Another angle:
    10F22095-7496-479D-9831-6043C330D809.jpeg

We have never had this before, and I do not know which plant it is that is giving this anomaly. Interesting though.

Well, that was it for the strawberry story. I hope that you guys have success with your harvests this year, I saw that Odif did well.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

OMG Sjoerd that pic of your strawberries makes my mouth water. Will be by soon to help you pick.
    We have huge strawberry fields near us well all fruits plums, peaches, blueberries etc. Farmers put out U-Pick signs
    I have a big problem when picking fresh fruit I eat half of it before taken to weigh it to pay… I generally fess up and tell them to add a pound or two especially strawberries.

4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

They look fantastic Sjoerd. Isn't that a funny looking little berry. Not quite a bum berry....maybe a nosy berry. I'm so happy you and your bride enjoyed your harvest. I never have the patience to flip my jars - I'm very impressed with your diligence.

I've been meaning to ask about your jars. They look very different than ours. Are your lids reusable?

5. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Oh those look wonderful Sjoerd. What a beautiful sight! Just, wow!

Jewell, Sjoerd, Logan and 2 others like this.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

YUM! That looks amazing!
    I was just saying to the kids that we need to go strawberry picking this year because we need to make jam! But I also like the look of your dessert with whipped creme!

Jewell, Sjoerd, Logan and 2 others like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

They look yummy Sjoerd, you must have a lot of plants to make jam, well done.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ta Pac. I am glad you liked them. Some extra hands picking would be soooooo welcome.

Hiya Mel— yes, those little guys look like several different things actually. Ha, ha, ha…yeah that jar flipping does take some discipline. Chortle

The tops are a two-step opening system. You do not need a great deal of strength. They are re-useable.

Thank you so much, Daniel. What a nice thing to say.

I hope you folks manage to make it to the picking place. Of course the main focus was jamming, but the strawberry shortcake with whipped cream is a summer must for us.

Loggie—This bed has twenty plants in it. They really are yummy.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

What a wonderful harvest! Mouthwatering!!!

10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sjoerd that's a lot for 20 plants.

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Jewell like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cayu, you had better not look too long then, as with there temps, dehydration could be dangerous to your health.
    Cheers mate.,

Yes Loggie, it’s good innit. We have a second bed of twenty plants just beginning to yield harvestables now. It was set up this way for an extended harvest period of the strawbs. Actually it is all too much, we cannot use or give away so much.

We have been eating strawds in some form twice a day now for a couple of weeks. I have just about had enough. Haha. I can’t believe I said that !

Yesterday we told some neighbours at the gardening allotments to come and pick as much as he wanted. My Bride had to add not to be bashful or restrained. You have to do that here because most folks are so respectful, and greediness is not a label that one would want to have. I know it sounds ridiculous, but you really do have to keep insisting and re-affirming that it is oké. Ha ha.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
    Logan, Cayuga Morning and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sjoerd perhaps you should make some more jam, it keeps very well, we have strawbs on our breakfast every morning along with a lot of other fruits.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Loggie, I already have more than twenty pots of jam in the pantry, and two types of blueberry and plums are still to come. I don’t know where to put it all. This is a problem that most gardeners like having, but it is too much. I always have too much but this is ridiculous.

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sjoerd, can you put the blueberries in the freezer ? like i do, just take some out to put on our breakfast. We get too much redcurrants, white currants and gooseberries. I put them in the freezer and put a few on the breakfast as well.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes Loggie, I have a kilo or so in the freezer at the moment. I had too many blueberries last year. I made 32 pots of jam and just froze the rest. They are good for making jam later, in yoghurt or cheesecake topping.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  16. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Great Sjoerd, i love cheese cake.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.