Tomatoe Pruning

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by DinobeanoJUKT01, May 20, 2008.

1. DinobeanoJUKT01

DinobeanoJUKT01 New Seed

I am in need of directions to prune tomatoe plants without causing damage. I know only 3 leaves should be left in order to promote large quantity of fruit. I am growing in 5 gallon pots of potting soil. been in 2 weeks and they are 2 feet tall already. (better bush)
    Is it too late to prune?
    Thanks for any help

Dino

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Dino I grow tomatoes and usually they crop very well for me. I don't prune them though. I simply pinch out new growth so that they bush out more and don't grow too 'leggy.' I'm sure others will be along shortly who can help you out more than I can. You probably already know that tomaties are very greedy plants and need plenty of feed as well as water to produce the best fruits. Good luck with yours. :stew2:

4. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

Better bush is an indeterminate variety. I've never heard of leaving only 3 leaves. You should pinch out any sucker sprouts, and the leaves on the stem below the first blooms, also any secondary stems. As far as I know, it is never to late to prune a tomato.

From http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/ho ... atoes.aspx

5. xylona

xylona Seedling

Here is a picture of my cherry tomato plant. It is about 2 feet tall or so.

[​IMG]

When should I pinch the top?