Tomatoes and Willie the chipmunk 8/9

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sherry8, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I do enjoy watching the chipmunks in the garden but at times they can wear out their welcome. Right now I resorted to putting rubber snakes around my tomato plants because the fence has not kept the chipmunks from taking a bite out of them...I will move the snakes around to see if that helps...I think they scare me more than the chipmunks ... when you walk up there and forget you put them there. I am not a lover of snakes and even the rubber ones make me jump...my husband too!

[​IMG]
    tomato ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

This one was the first tomatoes to ripen and now they have started eating green tomatoes...

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sherry, we had the same trouble with bunnies. Cute little things, but voracious appetites! We sprayed hot pepper juice on the tomatoes and made sure we washed them thoroughly before we ate any (so much for snacking on the way back to the house). It worked, and now we don't have to spray--the rabbits learned that those red globes burn their mouths. Finally, a good use for those habaneros I planted by mistake!

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That isn't nice, Sherry. I sometimes have trouble with shrews, so I know how that feels.
    You know, Gail and her man used to trap the chipmunks in a Havaheart trap (or something like it) and then they took the little guys far, far away and released them.'They just kept baiting the trap and setting it until they caught no more. The trap was then retired until they next were invaded.
    Perhaps you could try something similar.

Good luck with those lil rascals.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

The rubber snakes didn't work at all. I took the fence down we put around the tomato plants because the chipmunks would climb it and hang on it to reach the tomatoes. I picked up a small tomato plant for on the patio and I pick one and set it on the ledge for them to eat every couple days...not sure if that is why they are leaving the large plants alone or if they are just too high for them to reach now. But at least we are getting some tomatoes to eat and enjoy..they taste so much better than the store bought in my opinion.

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Use deer repellant around the edge of your garden. It smells horrible but works. It has a strong urine smell. You just have to keep putting it down after a rain.