Toolbar icons affect pc performance?

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by paulelliott, Oct 1, 2011.

1. paulelliott

paulelliott New Seed

Installing new toolbar icons, web icons for web browser and themes does affect pc performance? I want a big changes for my old themes and icons here.

2. Loading...

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Anything you have allowed at "Start" will slow down your start up time/load time,..in particular large files or programs,..and yes even icons on the desktop,..so anything NOT needed at start up can be removed for manual start.

Likewise any program in operation mode that is NOT needed to be active can also be changed to manual.

I would begin by inspecting the "Start Up" list of programs,..reduce those,..then work on the remainder.

4. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

That is really good information. I didn't know it and always wonder why my computer seems to get slower all the time. Great tips!

5. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

You can remove many things from start up...not needed in start up, simply go to start/run/ type in msconfig, then click start up tab...scroll down and remove checks from items not needed, this does not remove them from your pc or programs.. also you can manage or disable all those unwanted toolbars, at tools in browser... everytime you download something new, it will try to install a toolbar...

Advertisement
  6. Humble Pie

Humble Pie New Seed

I thought the following article by one of the professionals may be of good reading for educational purposes when it comes to using MSconfig to disable Startups. Though it does target the XP OS it does apply to Vista and Win7 as well.

How to deal with startup processes - do not use MSconfig

The article by Chaslang does mention a program called HiJackThis and provides a tutorial but I would not recommend anyone who is not trained on how to use HJT to try this without guidance from someone who is trained on how to use HJT. Many have "fixed" entries that have rendered their computers unbootable.

If anyone would like guidance I am trained professionally to use HJT but can only help to remove StartUps. If any malware entries are found I could not help further due to my oath while in training to not remove malware and I must respect that oath, though I could guide you where to go for further removal of malware by a professionally trained removal expert and it is free. Many people take their computers to their local Tech Shop and pay big bucks!! You can do this yourself if you know how to run programs and follow directions. And what you learn through this self help experience is amazing!

HP :stew1:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Humble Pie,
    that's a very good link,..i am a follower of Major Geeks.com,..many good programs i downloaded from there over the years and HJT may have being one of them,..i have mine since 2005 and a very good program it is.

ChasLang made a very good post,..easy to understand by people at all levels of experience,..anyone who delves into MSconfig should always thread warily,..i do so myself but knowing what i am looking for helps.

There are many programs that will allow you to move anything from Start Up to Delayed Start,..one i use is Winpatrol.............WinPatrol - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I hope anyone interested in speeding up the Start Up will avail of your offer of guidance.

8. Humble Pie

Humble Pie New Seed

Hi Philip Nultry,

Thank you! :-D

Yes! I love Major Geeks as well. Anytime I am looking for a download I always add Major Geeks to my search query because I know it is a safe site to download from.

I hear so much about WinPatrol. Many of my instructors recommend it in their closing speeches as a must have program after the removal of malware. I've never tried it though. Need to if I want to learn and advise.

:stew1:

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Humble Pie,
    one good thing about WinPatrol,..it alerts me if any change is being made to my registry,..and allows me to choose yea or nay,..i have the free version.

Another good site and a safe one is Richard Gizmo,..Gizmos Freeware Reviews...its his site,..unlike CNET .com or many of the other good sites,..do you by chance ever look in to GAOTD.

10. Humble Pie

Humble Pie New Seed

Hi Philip Nultry,

Yes. I do know of Give Away of the Day though I don't take them up on the offers. Thank you for the Gizmos Freeware Reviews link. Now that looks like a very informative site. I'll have to take the time to look the site over a bit.

As for CNET...they have changed their Policy and many are complaining that crapware is being installed along with their downloads more then ever. Hard enough as it is to find a site that doesn't offer pre-checked toolbars, browsers and remote access support.

Ever heard of a site called Ninite. They offer installers only. No crapware to speak of. If they don't have what you are looking for just make a request and they'll do what they can to get the installer, crapware free.

I also use a program called Update Checker. It scans your computer to find software that is out of date then provides a link where you can get the update. I recommend it for many "seasoned citizens" who tend to forget to update their programs when they should (like my dear mother).

:stew1:

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Humble Pie,
    i was AWOL for over a week and on my return missed your post,..i did have a look at Ninite,..brilliant,..no crap there,..i bookmarked it as i tend to keep up with the latest programs available or ones best suited to my requirements.

I notice that CCleaner has stopped trying to slip in the Yahoo Toolbar and Browser Page,..about time as it spoiled a popular little cleaner,..i agree with you about CNet,..i am a member there since 2004 as with GAOTD,..i do take on offers of the full versions of programs that you would normally have to pay through the nose for,..but in both sites programs offered of late have annoying,.. hidden offers,..like toolbars,..browsers and additional programs to what is offered.

12. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I have been using msconfig for yrs on all 4 of my pc's as well as many seniors I help, np's ever! also used CNET,and when you download, or before install simply remove checks from unwanted crap..np's and I do always recommend file hippo update checker, and download & install for many of the ppl who's pc's I work on..you would be amazed how many ppl do not keep pc's updated..