transplanting Narcissi and Tiger Lilies question

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by daisybeans, Apr 18, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I want to split my jonquils and move some to other parts of the yard. They're done blooming but still green. Is there any reason NOT to move them now?

Also want to move/split orange tiger lillies.... they don't bloom till June. Do you think I can mess with them now and still get blooms?

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

The tiger lilies are bulbs, right? I usually transplant lily bulbs in early spring or after they have bloomed in autumn. It depends on how much they've grown. If you can wait, I'd think it's better to move them after blooming.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

If you move your lillies they may not bloom this year.Mine didn't last year.
    I need to move some of my daffy's but will wait a while until fall.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I find jonquils more touchy than my grape and wood hycinths (they tend to naturalize like crazy here in the coastal Pacific NW) when relocating them when they still have leaves. Then again they don't take well to me stabbing them after their foliage has died back fully either.

After your daffodils are finished blooming they are making new blooms for next year and reproducing their little bulbs. If you can wait until they are beginning to have the tops die back the more likely you will be to have blooms again next year and maybe some nice little bulbs.

I've lost a few being too anxious to move them, but some have done OK. The more dirt you can move with them the better if moving while they still have leaves. Most varieties tend to be pretty tough. Good luck.

6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thanks Droopy, Glenda and Jewell... Kind of what I was concerned about... but wanted to make the move because I want to put some different things where the jonquils are.... Oh well, better to wait. Glad I asked! The tiger lillies are some of my favorites so I'll wait. I'd be sad if I didn't get blooms.