transplanting small outside tree indoors?will it loose leafs

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by julioluko, Sep 29, 2006.

1. julioluko

julioluko New Seed

I have really been wanting a black walnut tree, and there are tons around here, so if I take a small one from outside and plant it indoors in a large pot will it still loose its leaves and go through the winter season???

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. julioluko

julioluko New Seed

I was looking for something 5-6 ft tall, I really was looking forward to a black walnut because I wanted to acctually plant it outdoors when it got too tall. I see Eileen is from Scotland, I didnt know this was a world wide forum, its Fall here and its starting to get cold and the leaves are just about to change color. So i want to get one before that happens. Any more input would be greatly appreciatred.

Luke Richard

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Why do you need to bring one inside? Walnut trees grow well outside and if one is five or six feet tall it would double its size outside. They lose their leaves in the fall and would still do so inside. They maybe need a dormant period of cold weather. Our walnut trees are already turning for fall. Dooley

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ahhh I didn't realise your walnut tree was 5-6 feet tall Julio. :oops: Dooley is right with her advice about a tree that size - it's best kept outdoors.

7. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

I'm certain this is not a good idea. Your tree needs to go through its natural stages or it will become stressed and we all know what can happen to a sressed plant. They are so
    much more suseptible to disease and pests. If you really want an indoor tree my advice would be to purchase a tropical. You can put it outdoors in the summer. Good luck.

muddy

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have a hugh Black Walnut on my land.A storm took it down to the ground about 15 yrs ago but its still alive and making fruit the last time I noticed.They are not meant to live inside.

9. julioluko

julioluko New Seed

Well i guess its back to the original idea of starting a jade tree. thanks for all the imput.