Tree peony

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by EJ, Apr 4, 2010.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I was sent a tree peony several years ago, I think by Palustrus' daughter...I think. Anyhow, it has grown happily in the garden, and once again, it has sprung into growth. I have never grown them before, and have no idea how long I will have to wait before I see any flowers. Does anyone have any experience of growing tree peonies??

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from EJ's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Palustris
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sorry EJ I've never grown one but I would love to give it a try. I hope it flowers for you this year as I'd love to see it in bloom. Do you know what colour of flowers it is likely to have?

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We've got three different ones outside. One got some huge orangy-red double blooms last year, and it's a young plant. The other two haven't done anything but grow. I've heard some people waiting for five to seven years before the bush bloomed. I guess it depends on the age and size and that each cultivar is different.

5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

If Hex sent it to you, then it is likely to be either P. lutea which is yellow or P. ludlowii(?). The first is a single yellow and the latter is single red.
    Ditto if it was Ceratonia who also has both of these in his garden and sent people seeds.
    The plant in the picture looks about ready to flower this season.

6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I think it was Ceratonia who sent it. I knew deep down it was one of your off-spring. :)

Excellent news on the chance of flowers this year. I shall keep a close eye on it.