Tree with white flowers / yellow center

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by pamo, Jun 22, 2008.

1. pamo

pamo New Seed

Hi everyone!

I am new here and have registered so that I could possibly ask that you take a look at this tree I have in my yard. I have never been much of a gardener but I really hope to start since I have moved recently and have a yard with endless possibilities.

Anyway! The tree is about 20 feet tall right next to my house. The trunk is small and there are white flowers with a yellow center blooming. They smell good but I can't describe the smell. Here are the pictures of the tree in question. Can someone let me know what this is? Once again, I am a complete beginner at plants but I hope to "grow"! :)

Here's the flower that grows on the tree:
    [​IMG]

Here's the tree trunk/bark:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Pam

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Welcome, Pam, from coastal mid-Norway. :stew2: I'm not familiar with your tree. Which zone are you in?

4. Joann

Joann Seedling

It looks like a Mock Orange. Mine just finished blooming a few weeks ago. They do smell wonderful.

5. pamo

pamo New Seed

Hi!
    Nice to meet you!

I am in the US in very southern Alabama. I'm about 6 miles from the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. I think I'm in zone 9.

I looked up Mock Orange and the pictures I found don't match what I have. Is this what yours looks like, Joann?
    http://roses.toytrains1.com/mockorange.htm

Mine is very tall and has a slender trunk. The petals are rounded on the top and don't have any kind of indention in them. The tree is taller than my porch roof overhang. The plant in those pictures looks more like a bush or shrub. This has me very mystified. Everyone that has come to see our new home has said "ooooo what a pretty tree! What is it?" and I have had to say I don't know (although that's not a surprise out of me) :-D

Thanks for taking a look!
    Pam

Advertisement
  6. Joann

Joann Seedling

Yes, my Mock Orange looks like the pictures from that link..especially the leaves. It's flowers, however, look like the flowers on your tree. They have the yellow middle (stamens?), where the link pictures look like they're mostly white.

7. Joann

Joann Seedling

Continued..The many trunks on my bush look like the trunk in your picture. I'd consider mine a large bush 12'x12'. There's many varieties of Mock Orange. Hopefully someone will come along soon to help you with a positive ID.

8. Droopy

Does it set any fruit or berries in autumn? Does the tre grow in a column shape or does it spread out a lot? If it's 20 feet and looks young it might become a very tall tree.

9. trudy

trudy In Flower

I agree with Mock Orange/English Dogwood. Here is another link:
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/187630/
    If its not ED hopefully someone in your area could tell you what it is. Perhaps your County Agent could stop by or you could take a piece to the Extention Office an see what they say about it.

10. Joann

Joann Seedling

11. Joann

Joann Seedling

Trudy..the link you gave shows my Mock Orange exactly : )

12. pamo

pamo New Seed

Hey!
    I really don't know if my tree is an evergreen or not. From the looks of it, I don't think so but then I really don't know a whole lot about these things.

I have a couple of more pictures to show. These show a much bigger and closer up picture of the flower itself.
    [​IMG]

I also have a picture of one in my hand to give you some idea of what size these are.

[​IMG]

I also have a picture of the whole tree up against my house. There aren't any other indications that it's a bush or shrub at all. Do mock orange or english dogwoods grow like this as well? I still haven't found any pictures of those that exactly match my flower or tree but I know there are tons of different types.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your input everyone! I think I'm going to seek out the past owner of this house and ask her for sure. :-D It's going to drive me crazy until I know. I will for sure let you all know when I find out.

Pam

13. Droopy

I am beginning to wonder if you have some kind of camellia there, or maybe a Stewartia pseudocamellia. I'm really intrigued by your tree. :D Hope you manage to solve the puzzle.

14. pamo

pamo New Seed

Wooohoooo! Found it! My husband did some searching on google (I called myself searching and he showed me up for sure).

Drumroll please......

It's a Loblolly Bay Tree!

I had no idea. Here's a link to information about it:

http://www.floridata.com/ref/G/gord_las.cfm

It is an evergreen (I told you I didn't know about these things) and it can grow up to 70 feet. Seems to be abundant in Florida and coastal areas like where I live.

Phew, ok, now that's over and I can go on to the next plant. :)

Thanks everyone!
    Pam

15. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I'm so glad you ID it and welcome to the Stew from central Texas.

16. Droopy

Whew! I'm so glad you managed to ID it. :D Lovely tree.