Trees Down By The Tower

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The big trees that went down in the recent storms are still lying about over by the tower. This first one shows a big branch that went over the old seawall. The old seawall was built before 1503 and the land where the trees stand is on a manmade peninsula. It was all constructed to protect our town from the wildness of the Zuyder Zee.I know that there are a couple of you that know this area well.
    6369E684-90DA-4898-8CE8-68899D084EC9.jpeg

There were only two trees, but they were massive.
    F86053E2-0168-4822-B4E1-2FE88D5BA5E4.jpeg

Here are the two trees, one fell over exposing the roots and the other one snapped-off just above the ground. What a wind force that must have been.
    C8D216C5-520F-48E5-A59F-FADDBD003C4E.jpeg

After the foto session, we strolled in the park to see what was happening at the blue heron nests. Instead of looking up we just looked horizontally and saw this hobbit story-like scene. The water you see on the foreground is standing water that has not yet soaked into the ground.
    46EF508D-503A-4813-8CD4-6E1CF2A7D6A6.jpeg

It all looked a bit magical in the woods but of course the foto can’t give the feeling of being there. I guess that that is a problem with many pics.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Droopy, cuatro-gatos, Logan and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh it looks so different now to what I remember. Those trees are going to take some moving!!

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yikes! The power of Mother Nature!
    Around here, those trees would have been cut up and taken away by people for their woodstoves.

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Sad to see them down. They look like Oaks?

Logan and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

That must have been some storm for such majestic trees to be downed.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I thought you’d recognise that area, Eileen. The limbs are enormously heavy, the trunks are impossible to lift or move. It is so sad to see these giants fallen.

You are right Netty, the force is shocking.

Zigs, we call those trees, es (ash I believe). There are no eik, or oak growing on that seawall area. It pains me when trees are lost. I do not know what the rule says for this case, but when trees are felled to build buildings or roads for instance, by law they must be replaced. I am very much in agreement with that law.

Quite right KK. It was the strongest and longest series of storms in a row that have happened here in a very long time.

Logan likes this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

So sad to see those trees at the end of their lives. I hope they plant several young ones for the future. Given the area, maybe Tilia cordata? They seem pretty resilient.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

There are loads of Tilia all over our town. I have no idea if they will replant there, and if-so what their choice will be. I am a big fan of This sort of tree because my bees are crazy about it. There is an entire street lined with them just across from my hives, so they do not have to fly far.

10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

So sad to see them down.

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I read that Tilia makes wonderful honey. I planted mine for the bees, although my hives didn't survive and I gave up. The T. cordata are quite beautiful. I planted a T. americana, it grew rapidly then died suddenly. In its place, I planted a Eucalyptus subcrenulata, supposedly fast growing and with colorful bark. I don't know if it will have a bee benefit. The leaves are mildly fragrant, not as strong as blue eucalyptus. Also for bees, I grow milkweed, let the dandelions and clover bloom, and this year I'm planting a lot more wildflowers.

Logan, Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mate, so sorry that you stopped with your bees.
    There are several types of Tilias to choose from and if the conditions are right, they can give bucket loads of nectar. I like the taste of Tilia honey, but the Bride doesn’t find it strong enough.

Before I started keeping bees, I purposely planted plants that either are frequently visited by bees or that gave more nectar than other plants. It is great that you are planning to plant for bees. Chapeau.
    Wildflowers are so important to all pollinators, so that is a good and important goal. So much of the natural occurring wildflowers have been lost over the years to farming and construction. If you look at it, its alarming really.

Logan likes this.
  13. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I shouldn't have looked. I'm almost in tears, but then I love big, old trees.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Me too, Droopske...me too.

Droopy likes this.
  15. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Droopy and Sjoerd like this.