Tropical Hibiscus seeds?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by carolyn, Sep 28, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Has anyone had their hibiscus go to seed? I thought I would try to start a few of the pink hibiscus from seed, but the seed pods keep dropping off after the flower is spent. Are the tropical hibiscus sterile? Or are they male or female plant? I have never thought about it nor tried to let any go to seed, but as I now want the seeds, I don't seem to remember seeing any that ever actually go to seed. any ideas?

2. Loading...

3. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

It probably depends also on the location. Over here in Romania, tropical hibiscus are ... tropical. They are not in their usual environment.
    They bloom but never set seeds.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah Carolyn,

I have a pinkish-white hibiscus that I got from my s-i-l ~13 or so years ago.
    When she gave it to me it was four fingers tall and came from under her hibiscus bush. She had five of these small plants gathered from her back garden. I don't know what happened to hers, but mine is alive and well in my flower garden.

I don't know if this posting helps you at all....other than to demonstrate that at least one type will set seed and grow offspring here in the west.

I always thought that hibiscus plants were bi-sexual for some reason, but I do not know for sure.
    I have never looked into the reproductive habits and possibilities of the hibiscus, but she had more than one of these bushes in her garden, so it is possible that they require fertilization from another plant--I don't know.
    One thing to say is that my little bush has never produced any offspring. I have two hibiscus bushes in my garden.

At any rate, I wish you luck with this and hope that you have some success. Keep us posted.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have 3 of them, in pots and I keep them in the greenhouse over the winter. So if they need pollen from another plant that isn't a problem. I Was wondering if there was the possibility that they are only male/female plants. I can cross pollinate them myself if need be and I will try this when I have another set of blossoms to work with.

Advertisement
  6. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Sjoerd, u talking about tropical hibiscus or the "hardy" ones like syriacus or moscheutos?
    IF it's in your garden, must be a hardy one.
    Carolyn probably refers to tropical ones.

The hardy ones normally produce seed capsules (I've got seeds from 2 out of 3 kinds huge white and light pink, the dark pink somehow didn't produce).

Lots of people here have tropical hibiscus in pots, and they always brag about the blooms but never mention any seeds!

CALIN

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Calin, I am referring to tropicals, I was also assuming that S was referring to hardies since his is outside. Still, I can't ever remember seeing a seed pod on any tropical plant anywhere. Isn't that interesting that your friends have never mentioned getting any seeds/pods from a plant? I'll just keep watching and waiting. Thanks, anyway. C