tulip and daffodil bulb question

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Sep 15, 2014.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I dug some of each up today and I'm sure I missed some. I have seen mole/vole cages made to keep the critters out but what about a basket to hold the bulbs in? I'm just thinking it would make removing the bulbs when they get too crowded so much easier and wouldn't leave some behind that will sprout later. Have you heard of something like that?
    Thanks, Linda

2. Loading...

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

If you want to do it, and feel a need for it, other gardeners probably do too. If it doesn't exist, invent it! For anything gardening, there's about 9 ways that just can't work and bout 1593 that have hope. If everybody did things the same way, with the same results, there wouldn't be much to talk about. Whatever feels right to you, and makes you happy, I hope it goes well!

Tulips don't do much for me, so no idea about them, but Daffs don't seem to need any human intervention to grow and bloom well for decades. They are often one of the few signs where an old house used to be. I do dig them up to spread to other areas sometimes, but never once because it seemed necessary for another reason.

I like to do nothing (besides pull sprouts of anything I didn't plant) to plants after I've dug a hole and plopped them into the garden. Bulbs in general seem perfectly suited this style (or level of laziness, as the case may be.)

4. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

because I have a vole/mole problem I bury pots in the garden. It works for both purposes. It keeps the bulbs corralled and keeps the voles and moles out.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

There are bulb baskets" to plant in, but it is much more economical to cut rectangles of chicken wire and make a "basket" to protect the bulbs from the critters. Make it large enough to fold the top over the basket so they cant get in through the top and eat them.

If you have hardware cloth and a ring crimper (like for rabbit cage construction) you can make them out of that, too. It is sturdier but more time consuming. The top can just "hinge" closed and if you need to pull them to divide them it is easier to swing the top open.