Twisty shrub/tree

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Ronni, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Any idea what the name of this is? A friend of mine has it in her garden, though she has no clue what it's called.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Tina
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. poppy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

can you get a closer picture? I can't even tell if it is a conifer or deciduous from this picture. Does it flower?

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Pretty sure it doesn't flower.

Yeah, I can get a closer picture, though I won't be by her house again for a while. But actually, there's one in the neighborhood that I can go snap a shot of. It's what made me wonder about the shrub, because William commented on it and wondered if it would work in their garden.

Honestly I didn't take a closer shot or two because I figured the twisted trunk would be all the imagery anyone would need to figure it out, because it's so unusual! But what do I know, it's why I'm constantly on here asking questions! :D

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh, that's nice. I think it needs to be trimmed to keep it's original shape.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronni, I am wondering if that foliage is a compound leaf (bi-pinnate form)? Something that looks like a locust leaf. I am assuming that it is just starting to emerge and that is not mature sized foliage? If so maybe look up a weeping siberian pea tree and see if you think that bears any resemblance to the tree your friend has. The trunk is throwing me though. It is very contorted, so maybe it is grafted onto a different trunk than most of them are.

8. waretrop

Nah! Not Harry Lauder's Walking Stick, Contorted Hazelnut.

[​IMG]
    Contorted Hazelnut

[​IMG]
    Contorted Hazelnut

Snot an evergreen. Probably a Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar, Cedrus atlantica "Glauca Pendula"

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hey, That is a great thought, Barb. Here is an image of one that looks pretty similar.

http://goo.gl/U8cH8I

The trunk is serpentine like the one in your picture.

10. waretrop

[​IMG]
    weeping blue atlas cedar

this is it.....

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, My blue atlas was an evergreen... until it died this year (mine wasn't a weeping one though (sad)!

Is that a picture of one you have? it is a beauty. I don't think I will try another one. I think we are on the edge here and I won't spend that much money on another one.

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Blue cedar atlases are spectacular though. I saw they are zone 6, so not reliably hardy for my area either.

The tree in Ronni's photo doesn't look like it has many needles/leaves on it. It looks as though it might be deciduous, with the needles just coming in now. But blue atlases are evergreen.....any thoughts about this? Is this a moth-eaten Blue atlas?

13. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

My friend said she'd just cut a bunch of foliage off it so that the trunk was more visible, which she felt was the more appealing part of the tree to begin with. So that's why it doesn't have many branches.

But I think, yeah, it's a Blue Cedar Atlas. It looks just like in those links, at least that's the way it looked before she cut a bunch of limbs off. I never knew it had a twisty trunk like that till she cut it way back.

After reading all your comments though, I hope she hasn't damaged it cutting it back like that! :(