Two IDs needed here

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by AAnightowl, Jun 16, 2013.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

One is a purple flower growing in the little business gardens in town. I think these are perennials also, but I would like to get some for my garden.

[​IMG]
    grocery store flowers ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

The second one might be a giant yellow batchelor button a friend in Oregon [from Garden Talk] shared with me a few years ago in our seed swaps. The seed died back, and the following season these plants appeared but have not bloomed. This year they have buds. I only have these in two of the three spots where I planted them. They are supposed to be a perennial batchelor button?

[​IMG]
    unknown flower ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

I took these pics on my son's cell phone, that is why the pics are so poor.

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Is the first plant Monarda (beebalm)? Are the stems square when you try to roll them between your fingers?

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I don't know, but I can look next time I go to the grocery store, probably Tuesday.

5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

The first pic looks like a double flowering type of Campanula. I have it in my flower bed and the leaves look very similar. I would do a web search for the different kinds of Campanula. Not sure about the second pic. :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Tooty--I am thinking you mean campanula glomerata? It does look like it.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Not too sure about the second one, but the first one is definitely Campanula Glomerata aka Clustered Bellflower

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Thanks. I will see if I can find either of those in the local nurseries before they are done for the summer.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I, too, think the purple flower is campanula, my mom has some and she just asked me today what it was. It looks the same to me. The second one...reminds me of lisianthus.

10. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I looked up the lisianthus. This plant does not look anything like it.

The leaves on the 2d plant, are long, ovate, fuzzy, single. The bud does not even closely resemble the lisanthus. The outer bud leaves are twirled around the emerging flower. You can see one of them in the middle of that picture. This plant is tall also.

11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I just heard from my friend in Oregon. She says these ARE her giant yellow batchelor buttons. There is a brown thingy inside the bud, she says resembles a pinecone. ??? There is too. I will post better pics as soon as they bloom.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Fuzzy helps! it could be rudbeckia. I wasn't sure if the leaves were smooth or fuzzy due to the quality of the picture. The bud should be very full, round and hard, if that is what it is.

13. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Gosh, you folks have better eyesight than me.

14. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Carolyn, it is not rudbeckia either.

"WOO Hooo..... Pretty soon it will start showing a rough pine cone thingy on top and then shortly there after a yellow bloom/tuft coming out of that.... So glad its growing for you..... If you let it go to seed aftrwards you will have more next year. If you want some in other places, spread the seed, they don't handle transplant well at all... Show a picture when it blooms...

Also, if you let it go to seed, just leave it alone and it kinda dries out with a cup and spiny brown seeds and you can shake them out. If you can't shake them out they aren't ready.

yes the bees love this plant. Mine are coming on now, they don't usually bloom until late July or so..."
    [from Echo, who gave me the seeds]

Night - I have some of those yellow Centaurea from Echo, too. Mine have all kinds of buds on them right now, just like yours. I love them! I remember a picture she posted many years ago of hers with all kinds of bees on them. The bees love them."

thank you everyone.

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

AA, I am thoroughly confused...this is a great reason to add scientific names to everything. I have never heard of "giant yellow bachelors buttons" before. Is this just what she calls them?

bachelors button/latin name: centaurea.

16. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Bachelor's Button is Centaurea cyanus. Centaurea montana also has the common name of Bachelor's Button

From your friends description of "rough pine cone thingy on top" and "then shortly there after a yellow bloom/tuft coming out of that" I am pretty sure she is talking about Centaurea macrocephala (Yellow Hardhead, Giant Knapweed) which doesn't have the common name of Bachelor's Button.

In this case, if you don't want to fuss with the Genus species, you could call it Giant Knapweed and most people who are familiar with it will know which one you are talking about. But calling it Bachelor's Button will keep the confusion going.

Also if you do a google search for yellow bachelor's button, you can find a referrence of that being the common name for Polygala lutea - Orange or Yellow Milkwort. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/orange+milkwort

Tooty2shoes likes this.