two inspired purchases today.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by daisybeans, May 14, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Today I was home sick again (laryngitis and cough, nothing serious) but felt better by afternoon so went to the Dollar General Store and bought two more large pots for veggies. Then went to the little nursery down the road, where the people are very nice and have time to talk to customers. I bought two things because I have not been able to get them out of my mind since seeing them in someone's photos:

Red Hot Poker plant or Torch Lilly -- saw that in Green Numb's garden and have looked everywhere for one. Was not even looking today and there it was! I have the perfect spot for it.

Since seeing Toni's little aquatic pots, I've had that on my mind. I bought a little Wedelia trilobata (water zinnia) and have put it in a water filled crock that I found in the basement. It's a marsh or bog plant, they say... well, this is an experiment for me, let's say that. If it seems happy here, I may create a larger one. Toni, it came in a neat little pot with sort of mesh on the sides.

Fun, fun. Thanks for the inspirations!

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Congrats on the new plants. I love having the water plants in pots, no way I can have a pond so this is second best. Don't forget to take pictures.

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Toni, one question -- I was reading up on water gardens and it mentioned letting tap water sit for 24 hours before putting it on the plants so that the chlorine can disipate. Do you do that or is tap water OK? I water my other plants with it... I could get some out of my rain barrel if that would be better.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Saaaaay....That sounds like a very good day for you. Isn't it nice when you find things that you want?
    Good luck with both of those...and by all means---post pics. :)

Advertisement
  5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It was a very nice afternoon! The red hot poker was a nice surprise.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I like that plant as well. I had some for a number of years but rotated them out a couple of years ago. I can't wait to see your's once it begins to bloom.
    They are a lovely plant which certainally asks for visual attention.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I lost my Red Hot Poker this winter :(
    Can't wait to see pictures of yours blooming.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I never even thought about letting the water set for awhile...hmmmmm, didn't bother the plants. I use tap water on plants too.
    I know you are supposed to let the chlorine settle out of water before you add fish, maybe that article expected the plants to be in a pond that would eventually be stocked with goldfish.

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

OK, good. I'm not going to worry about it then. Thanks! Sweet dreams.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have been looking or the red hot poker plant all over you are so lucky.I nver buy from the internet.
    I will be waiting for pictures .You found some great buys.

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your new beauties! :D We tried the red hot poker but it didn't like it here. We'll try again, somewhere else, once we've got the place sorted.

12. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

That is just great Daisybeans.
    I love redhot pokers - Kniphofia. Their flowers look so similar to Aloe flowers.
    You just gave me an idea - they will grow here and I think I should also be on the looksie for them. The red hot poker will set off just great against the white walls. :)

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Aw, you guys are so encouraging. I love it. No wonder I like it here so much. I'll show you my new plants in their new spots soon. I hope the red hot poker likes it here. Sorry you lost yours Netty and hope you can find some soon Glenda -- it was hard to find here too. Kniphofia is a nice name Palm Tree, don't you think?