Unknown Bulb about to bloom

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by toni, Apr 6, 2008.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

When my oldest daughter and her family moved late last summer a friend of hers put together a large pot with an assortment of bulbs planted in it, all having different bloom times so there would be something growing all spring.
    Problem 1...she told Lisa what they are but, not being very interested in plants, Lisa let that info go in one ear and out the other.
    Problem 2...they moved into a north facing apartment where none of their windows get any sun and their front door opens onto a covered and very shady breeze-way.

She gave me the pot and so far there have been some non-blooming Daffs come up. Then this one showed up, there are two more but they haven't sent up bloom stalks yet.

Taken Friday...
    [​IMG]

Taken Saturday...you can see the leaves of a second one in the far right side of the picture
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. trudy

trudy In Flower

You have an amaryllis there, which one u have I don't know. There are a lot of names out there. Here I have some in sun but mostly I plant them in filtered sun due to our heat. This is about the right time for them to start blooming naturally. Some like to force them into bloom earlier.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks Trudy, I had a feeling it might be an Amaryllis but I wasn't sure. I will be sure to post a picture of whatever bloom it has.

It gets full afternoon sun, the front of our house faces west and for right now it isn't too hot. Not knowing what else is planted in there, maybe I should move the pot to the backyard where it will get only morning sun before the Texas heat really sets in.

5. trudy

trudy In Flower

Your welcome, at least it'll be easier to move the pot where you need to b4 planting them in a permanent spot.