Verbena or look alike?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by toni, Jul 5, 2008.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yesterday afternoon, I found this little pot plant sitting in the middle of the limbs and twigs I had put out on the curb for the 'green grabber' to pick up next week.
    I guess someone had one too many plants....that really isn't possible, is it?....glad they picked my brush pile to put it on instead of tossing in their trash can.

It was very sad looking from lack of water but after soaking all night it has perked right up. It is about 12" tall, pretty scraggly so it must be just a beginner. There are new leaves coming out along the lower part of the stem. It looks something like a Verbena to me but I don't know for sure since the ones I have are spreaders and this one is tall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I've no idea, Toni. Our Verbena have deeper lobes in the leaves, and they hang down too. I hope you'll keep it and see what it is. Maybe the people put it there in the hope that you'd adopt it?

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, yeah, I am keeping it. I am thinking I will put it in a larger pot before finding a permanent home for it, so I can try it in the sun and move it if that isn't good for it. Maybe it will bloom soon to help with the ID.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That doesn't look like any Verbena I've ever seen Toni. Hopefully it will bloom for us soon.