Visitors !

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Capt Kirk, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I had some visitors in my lane the morning. There were about 20 Bob White Quail in there just pecking at seeds etc. This isn't a very good pic as they wouldn't come out in the sun! These are the first ones I have seen back here in about 20 years.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Nature always has a few surprises for us doesn't it

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

We had bobwhite's where I grew up, about 40 miles west of where I am now. I miss their call. I don't recall hearing any around here.

Your lane looks like a place I would love to walk and explore. It is wonderful.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Very cute Capt. What do you think prompted their return?

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Doesn't it make you feel good when wildlife starts to return to an area? Let's hope they stay around and multiply.

7. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

One of my neighbors buys quail and pheasant eggs. He hatches them in an incubator and when they are almost grown, he turns them loose. Across the road from me is a farm that isn't farmed anymore. The owner has passed on and the farm went to his son, who is in his 60's like I am. He keeps trails mowed in the weeds and growth, so that the pheasants and quail have an area that is clear where they can go. But the rest of the fields are just natural growth. We have had pheasants around here for about 10 years. But since it is close to a country road, some get killed by cars, I am sure some quail and young pheasants get killed by stray cats that roam. A couple of years ago we had a full grown pheasant got killed by a hawk. I saw the hawk feeding on it and the hawk was huge. But that is natural life for the birds. We also have a few coyote around that get some of them and fox too. I usually see 3 or 4 fox a year. It is really interesting to see all of the wild animals around here.

8. barbie

barbie New Seed

awwwwwwwww

9. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

What a wonderful thing to do, increasing their numbers like that. I love quail - don't see them where I am, but they do show up around my folks place on the other side of the mountains.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

We have lots of wildlife in this area lots of Deer and Wild Hogs ,Bobcats ,Fox ,Racoons, Opossums,Rabbits Wolves and Coyotes some Black Panthers every now and then one is seen.I was walking Oreo Saturday and a covey of Doves flew up surprized me and Oreo.

11. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

I think it is wonderful when we care enough to restore the critters homes. We have taken so many away from them by paving them over for parking lots and housing tracts. And then we complain because raccoons eat our goldfish. The raccoons lived here before we did....we took their house away.

12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well said Jan. :-D Sometimes we tend to forget that it's because of US that we have problems with animals invading 'our' territory.