Wake up USDA

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by jbest123, Dec 17, 2013.

1. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

France and Spain in new horse meat scandal
    Police have arrested 21 people in raids on the horse meat industry across southern France and Spain on suspicion that horses used to develop medicines were sold fraudulently for food.

Posted by Celeste Monforton, DrPH, MPH of George Washington University School of Public Health & Health Services on November 5, 2013

“apparent conflict of interest of having company-paid employees inspect meat for safety and wholesomeness. In its zeal to privatize inspection here in the U.S., USDA’s Food Safety Inspection Services may have created a trade crisis by hastily approving its ill-conceived program abroad. It’s time to revoke those equivalency determinations before there is a major international food safety incident.”

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

The scandal in France and Spain is an example. With the various scandals that have happened involving foods, the people responsible to prevent that in this country(USA) are making it easier for the frauds to happen. Can you remember the Kangaroo meat in our lunch meats. Kangaroo meat may be fine just as horse meat but it wasn't supposed to be there.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Actually the Kangaroo meat in sausage scandal in 1960 was local to Pennsylvania and maybe the states immediately surrounding it. http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comme ... ndal_1960/

The Secretary of Agriculture is in charge of the USDA and is appointed by the sitting president and usually has absolutely no experience in food handling, manufacturing, etc. Possibly writing letters to Representatives and Senators in congress would at least let them know what you think. They are much more likely to read those than posts on a gardening forum.

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

The scandal on the horse meat marked as 100% beef,..and many other meat products having a high content of horse meat was bad enough,..however the fact that the horse meat also contained medication given to horses which was harmful to humans.

The trail was traced back to the slaughter houses in America and Canada,..no blame was pointed to them and rightly so,..the meat was then purchased by Bulgarian and Dutch meat suppliers,..somewhere between the latter two the meat was then labelled as 100% beef,..it was then exported throughout Europe as 100% beef,..many products containing meat,..like pies,..sausages and so forth were tested and when horse meat was found those products were destroyed,..at present the finger seems to point to Holland as the people who changed the labels.

How long was this happening,..not known.

7. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Interesting...where ever do they get the kangaroos from?
    Kangaroo meat is readily available in every supermarket here, I haven't knowingly eaten it,but horse meat is not sold for humans to eat.
    Further up north crocodile meat is also available,as for us we will stay with our beef, chicken or fish.

PS we hope that is what we are buying!
    Maybe we should do some checking too!

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I "mislead" my hubby when I put something he doesn't like in our dinner. Is that illegal? :D

He hates veal, goat and lamb. He also hates some veggies that I think he should eat so I fix that also.

Funny thing though, he will eat alligator, ostrich and allot of other odd things.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Could that be " husband abuse"?
    Do I have to report your behaviour to the "authorities" or are you the "authorities"?
    Whatever it is I am sure it is or soon will be illegal.

10. waretrop

:D :D

But you all promise me that you will not say anything, right?

It all started innocently. I promise. It was all over the venison, way back with the "other" hubby. Camping with pre-made food from home. Everyone came to our site for handouts. That was funny. So I carried it over to my, very preset, mind rules of my favorite hubby.

I thought I got caught the other day. He said, "What is this? Lamb? No, it must be pork." I just looked in surprise. I didn't have to tell stories.

He was right the first time.... :twisted:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, that is actually funny. If he can't tell the difference in taste and texture from one meat to the next it isn't that he doesn't like it...he doesn't like the IDEA of eating it, may be the disney association of humanizing particular animals and we are eating our friends :rolleyes: .

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Heaven help us, folks around here will eat most anything--squirrel (sorry, Cheryl), opossum, venison, and dove breasts (one bite per dove). The big controversy is whether you serve white or red wine with 'possum. I'm opting for either wine and no 'possum! :smt030

Maypop likes this.
  13. waretrop

carolyn keiper, I think it's really funny. Perhaps
    Disney Association would love the idea and I can think of a million funny things to put on film, that goes on in my household relating to food BUT, I would have to let my secret out of the bag... :D :D Can't do that.

marlingardener, you sweetie pie. I do like to be very adventurious with my diet and I have eaten much of what you talk about but not opossum. By the way, i can't even watch those tv shows that show the guy eating bugs. Now for me. I guess everyone has their own ideas about food. My hubby is just being silly about these little things. so I learned to deal with it.

Example, When we first got married I was instructed that he could not have his cloths washed in Wisk liquid. :eek: I honored his wishes until I ran out of his choice and grabbed my old leftover Wish. We never noticed the difference. He didn't break out in some weird welts like he said. That's when i opened my eyes about HIM. After about 2 years of using the wrong thing, he noticed while I was adding the bad stuff to his wash that, I was doing something bad. I told him that i had been doing that for over 2 years. We laughed....

By the way my most favorite dish is Alligator marsala. YUM.

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, Jane...I have a spare opossum out in the back that I could send down there. hopefully the postoffice doesn't hold up the delivery too long. I had a disturbance in the henhouse after dark the other night and found a 'possum out there. It had pulled all the tailfeathers out of one of my hens by the time I made it back there. The hen survived the possum didn't.

Actually, if there are any takers one it, it has been frozen since Sunday night. so it hasn't been decomposing yet, unless.....another carnivore found it. You may be out of luck. Just shoot me a PM and I'll go check for you :smt078 and happily box it up and send it on out...if the post office will take it.

15. waretrop

*visions of this box sitting at the post office somewhere, radiating smells of opossum smells, with the workers wondering what the heck it is......*

:D :D

16. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

Like one of our past presidents, I do not care for steamed Broccoli but I could eat some of the Broccoli salads until burst.