Walnut floors with an oak fireplace will they clash????

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by MsPolly, Aug 1, 2008.

1. MsPolly

MsPolly New Seed

Hi all

I am new here but would really appreciate some help from you all. I want to get some advice on redecorating my living room. Currently i have a cream carpet in my living room and cream leather furniture, brown curtains and the walls are painted antique cream and a feature wall is a coffee colour. Firstly i love neutral colours but i find it is seriously lacking a splash of colour any suggestions how i can add some colour?

Also my carpet is too difficult to keep clean so i would love to get wooden floors. However my dilemma is i love the dark walnut wooden floors but i have pine doors and an oak fire place and I'm afraid that too many woods will not look so good together. Am i correct in thinking that?? I thought the walnut might go well with that cream and brown curtains if i added some more colour too!

I was hoping to get the wooden floors all through the downstairs of my house bar the kitchen. I have the neutral cream/brown actually running most of the way through the house. But then i have the same dilemma in my office / clinic i work from which has pine furniture and not sure how the walnut would look with that.

I would really appreciate any advice and tips you can give me before i decide what to do.

Look forward to hearing from you.

MsPolly

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The woods are all different shades of brown, if you have the fabrics in a room all in different shades of brown they don't clash so the woods won't either. Having only one type of wood for all the floors, doors, furniture and the fireplace will be very bland and boring.

You can add color with throw pillows, curtains or valances, area rugs, vases, paintings, cut flowers and of course don't forget plants.

4. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

As accents colors I would select a green ... some shade of lime green, apple green etc. Also consider a teal or dark aqua. Like Toni said, throw pillows, throws, vases, plants, etc. Should turn out very pretty.

Oh by the way welcome to the Stew. Why not introduce yourself under 'Members Gallery'. Lots of great folks here at the Stew that can answer questions pertaining to most everything. We would love to see some pictures of your finished project. ;)

5. MsPolly

MsPolly New Seed

Thank you for your advice i feel a little more confident about the walnut floors now but still a little nervous!! I think you are right if i have fabrics to match the colour it could look good.