Want to plant a small tree, but which one?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Richie Cooper, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hi,
    I would like to plant a small tree in my daughter's yard. I need something that does not get very tall or wide. She only has about 15 feet from the side of her house ( where the tree will be) to the road.
    In the picture the tree would be to the right of the front door, even with the rectangular basement window.
    If possible we would like a tree that will produce some color in the summer. 8)

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Richie Cooper's Garden )

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Japanese Maple comes to mind--there are several varieties of different leaf patterns and colors. What is the exposure/amount of sun in that spot? Japanese Maples appreciate a bit of shade.

4. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

The dwarf weeping cherry is really a beautiful small tree & it produces masses of white blossoms on branches that can bend almost to the ground..... almost like a waterfall of blooms.

5. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

This sounds exactly what I am looking for. I've said this before, but I am going to say it again, all you people on this forum are GREAT! Thank you all very much.
    I am also going to check out the Japanese Maple too.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Some people like the pink flowering dogwood. One variety stays small also and you don't have to watch for suckers and prune carefully.

I have both a red and green leafed Japanese maple. They are different in growth habits. The red one gives a nice change from all the green in the summer and makes everything "pop" with the contrast. Good luck with whatever you choose.

7. Joe Caudex

Joe Caudex Seedling

How about a Sumac?

[​IMG]

8. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I have a dwarf cherry in bloom right now. It is a cute little tree and doesn't make a mess :)

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ummm, I wouldn't recommend a sumac for this region. Here, which is really not different in weather, it is a weed and very invasive. I love to look and the smell of them, but I wouldn't plant this near an intersection where they would eventually block the view of any drivers at the intersection. We pulled the patch we had growing out. We needed the area for a chicken yard and I still keep finding new ones popping up regularly.

10. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

STRATSMOM,
    Thank you for the reply, can you tell me about how tall your tree has grown? I have seen a few in catalogs, but they say that they grow 20-30 feet tall. I am looking for something that does not get to big or to wide.
    They will be for my daughters house and there is not much room between the side of the house and the road where they will be planted. Thanks again.

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I will check when I get home this afternoon :-D

12. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

13. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

If you look you will find a Red Maple somewhere. Some get 25 feet and that would be a great accent for the side of your daughters house, and won't be excessive east to west. You will just have to contend with the leaves if they fall..... in the Fall.... :D

Barb in Pa.

14. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Right now my dwarf cherry is about 5 foot 8 and has been in our yard 4 or 5 years :-D We bought it at Bi-Mart for about $9. It really hasn't grown much since we planted it :-? But, we like it! I love the weeping branches, just wish it bloomed longer :)