Weed Eaters. Can some suggest a correct size?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Apr 20, 2010.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Does anyone know about weedeaters? I would like asmall one I can handle. Thae onne my hubby has is a big one and hard to handle, Does anyone have any suggestions on a smaller one or even a electric one. Please help.

Margie :stew2:

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

No I dont but I will be watching this post to see what advice you get. I have an electric one and the cord is just a pain in the neck. And a gas one that I can't figure out and is kind of heavy. So I just let things grow beside fences and rocks and such. I'm getting used to it now (the grass that is).

4. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

I have a battery-powered weedeater I only use for quick trims along drive, under trees or along flower beds out front. Doesn't cut a big swath and is just too heavy/bulky for use, not overly pleased with it at all! Also have an electric that cuts a 14 inch swath: is lightweight with automatic feed, just wades thru grass like it was butter! I use a 100 foot heavy duty cord with that (is the max run for any power tool), takes time to get used to manipulating the cord, but just love the thing. As with any outside power tool, you want to be sure to aim it away from windows/house, work with your back to them: I know from experience what can happen there, did in a glass door..OOPS..as nice as can be with a flying stone! Are all kinds of makes/sizes/prices on the market, just get what you feel comfortable with, can handle easily. And ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, okay?

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My brother has an electric one that works nicely for small jobs and it's not too heavy. But I can't recall the make and model of it.

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have 2... a small John Deere trimmer and a Homelite. I like them both but refilling the string reel is a bit of a pain. At work I use a small Stihl and the string is easier to replace but the trimmer itself is heavier to carry around.
    I think the Homelite is my favorite :)