Weed taking over in corner of my backyard, ID please

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by jbrowning84, May 13, 2011.

1. jbrowning84

jbrowning84 New Seed

This weed is taking over in corner of my backyard. Can someone please tell me what it is and how to get rid of it. I am trying to plant irises in that corner and this weed is making it very difficult. Thank You :stew2:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from jbrowning84's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. marlwood

marlwood New Seed

weed taking over....irises

Good am!
    Pretty sure that's a dandelion. don't know if you want to use herbicides; best way to kill is first, pick and carefully dispose of all seeds--don't let them blow away!. 2. you have to dig them up or chop w/ hoe. Or use poison, check label. If you haven't got any other flowers nearby yet, you could try boiling/steaming hot water directly on younger plants.
    marlwood

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Rumex crispus aka Curly Dock

It is edible but takes a lot of preparation to make it non-toxic and is medicinal.

It has a long tap root which will make it difficult to dig up, leave a little of the tap root and it comes back strong as ever. You can use the same treatment to get rid of it that you would for Dandelions and don't let it go to seed or it will continue to spread.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I agree it is a 'Dock' however I don't think it is Curly Dock...the leaves aren't narrow enough. Maybe Burdock? Either way, they have a long tap root and are difficult to dig up.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Curly dock was my thought. Burdock in our area has a fairly wide triangular leaf and is a little fuzzy. Curly dock is a little shiny.
    Which ever it is the solution is the same. Water it very well and take a shovel and dig as deeply as you can, also use the blade of the shovel to pry on the root as far down as you can put it, (as in using leverage), at the same time you are pulling on the whole plant, with your hand that is not on the shovel handle, to pull it out. You should be able to get the whole root out this way. The root can be a foot long or longer. You don't want to leave the root in the ground or it will just grow back.