Weed with purple flowers?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by poodledoodlemom, Apr 23, 2014.

1. poodledoodlemom

poodledoodlemom Seedling

This is in the front of my house. It's inside an area that looks like it once had mulch in it...? I'm not sure if it's a weed or something the original owners planted. Does anyone know what this is? I can try to get a better pic if I need to. (I think I need to take a pic of the front of my house and get ideas from y'all on what to plant.)

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from poodledoodlemom's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not a weed, it's a Salvia, there are several purple ones so I am not sure which one you have. You can find more of them at the garden center if you want to make a bed of them.

I have May Night, Rhapsody in Blue, East Friesland and Mealy Cup. They will get larger as they mature.

You will see the name Sage associated with them too. The Genus is Salvia but the common name on some is Sage. Some are edible but many are not, they are just ornamental.

purpleinopp likes this.
  4. poodledoodlemom

poodledoodlemom Seedling

Ohhhhhh... When we moved here she had tied up some sage or lavender or something onto the front door. It was dried and pretty, even though it was old. Maybe it was that? I'm glad I didn't pull it thinking it was a weed!! I wonder what else I have in my yard that I thought were just weeds!!

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

All plants are weeds to someone who doesn't want them in their garden. I will usually let a plant stay put until I definitely ID it and then I just might not be in a hurry to pull it up if it has pretty blooms.

The Sage in the dried arrangement was probably culinary sage Salvia officinalis (Common Sage, Kitchen Sage) It's leaves are fragrant but the non-culinary sages aren't. Common Sage is really easy to grow too. It grows well in a pot in full sun and you can cook with it.