Weird Tomato Plants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Canadian Chelsea, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

This spring, I grew some Brandywine tomato plants from last years seed. They did fine and looked normal when growing in their pots but when I put them in a new garden with new triple mix soil, the leaves are coming out all curled up and no flowers in sight. I know its not a lack of water or over-watering that is causing the problem because
    everything else growing in the same garden looks fine. Only the tomatos are affected.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what is going on. Any ideas?

Thank you!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Canadian Chelsea's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. PepperDude
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. tkhooper
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Sometimes periods of cool rainy weather causes leaf curl on the lower leaves. There are however, tomato aficionados, more suited to come up with a more educated answer. It is cool and rainy here but none of my tomato plants have curled.

Jerry

4. Canadian Chelsea

It's the new growth that is coming out curly.

I'm in Ontario, Canada and the weather up to now has been wonky too. Hot, humid days followed by a rain storm, then cool weather, then back to hot etc., etc.

It's been a strange year for the weather.

5. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

I think about not enough calcium in the soil :-? :-?

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Chelsea,
    your up-and-down weather is most likely the culprit. The leaf curl won't affect the quality or quantity of your tomatoes if it is weather-caused.
    A dose of calcium per plant, as Theodoros suggested, won't hurt, and most likely will help prevent Blossom End Rot, which could occur if you have wet followed by dry.
    If the weather doesn't settle down all over North America, we are all going to have to re-think our gardening methods!

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

As I have said, mine curl like that every year. This year I added epsom salts to part of my plants for BER and it helped the curl too !! You can mix two or three tbsp in a half gallon jug and mix it up. When dissolved you can pour it on and drench the roots or put some in a spray bottle and use as a foliar spray or both. See if that will help.

8. Brad

Brad New Seed

I looked at this very same issue today in my Southern Living Problem Solver book. It said that soil that is to moist can cause this. I'll scan the page for you tomorrow and post it up here. I have found this book to be a very great help. I have seen them at Lowes or on line. I know it says it is remedies for southern growers but the same plant with problems in the south is the same plant with with problems in the north or anywhere.

ISBN 037603873X
    336 pages
    color photographs throughout

This might be useful to you: (from GrowItGold)
    "Leaf Roll:

During very wet seasons, tomato plants frequently show an upward rolling of the leaflets of the older leaves. At first this rolling gives the leaflet a cupped appearance. Later, the margins of the leaflets touch or overlap. The rolled leaves are firm and leathery to the touch. One half to three-fourths of the foliage may be affected. Plant growth is not noticeably checked, and a normal crop of fruit is produced. Frequently leaf roll occurs when tomato plants are pruned severely, and it is very common when unusually heavy rains cause the soil to remain moist for long periods of time.

To prevent leaf roll, keep tomato plants on well-drained, well-aerated soil, and protect them from prolonged periods of heavy rainfall if you can."

Also this: (Univ. of Colo.)

"Leaf roll, or leaf curl, is a physiologic distortion that may develop with periods of cool, rainy weather. It cause the lower leaves to roll upward and become thick and leathery. Leaf roll does not affect plant growth or fruit production and requires no treatment.

9. Canadian Chelsea

According to the statements above, it is the "older or lower" leaves that are affected. Not so with my tomato plants.

The older/lower leaves on my tomato plants are normal looking. It's all the new growth that curls and stays that way. All along the stems, the leaves are curled except for the bottom ones.

The soil they are growing in is a triple mix combination which is top soil, composted manure and sand so it is light and friable.

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

It can be any of the leaves. Mine curled much worse last year during the Texas drought. Sometimes one branch will be affected and others less,,sometimes it will be the entire plant. But like was said it does not affect the fruit or the amount of harvest. Its just something you get used to if you grow tomatoes. Since they make a lot less shade for the tomatoes,, you might need to shade them with something if it gets really hot. I use hay, or leaves from any big leafed plant that is growing close. This year it was cauliflower leaves.