Welllllll, meadow muffins!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by toni, Jun 14, 2007.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

All of my hollyhocks, incuding the two double yellows I planted last month now have Hollyhock Rust and idiot me didn't realize it until the large ones by the birdbath had been destroyed and the others infected. I just thought it was a result of too much rain.

Now I have to cut them all down to the ground and dispose of the stems and leaves in the trash, I can't put them out for the yard debris pickup since they sell the items to a local organic compost making company.

What I have read says I only need to cut the plants down, nothing about digging up the roots. I just hope they will come back rust free.

I have a couple organic suggestions I will try and we need to put down sulphur anyway as a flea control since our neighbors dogs are outside 24/7.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh Toni your poor hollyhocks. :( I hope that cutting them down to ground level works and that next time around they do indeed come back rust free.

4. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Oh, what a loss!!! Hope the roots stay healthy so you don't have to wait two years to have hollyhocks again!

5. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

That's to bad Toni. Hope cutting them down will work.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

When mine had rust a couple years ago, I only cut off all of the infected leaves & the stalk if it was infected. I had some with only one or two leaves left but still had a few flowers. Didn't seem to hurt them the next year they were back full force. Dooley

7. toni

Thanks Dooley, that is encouraging. The older ones by the birdbath are pretty much hopeless, I will be cutting them down this morning. The volunteers on the other side of the yard are so-so, there may be some leaves that can be left on. And the small double yellows appear to have only a few leaves affected so there is hope for them. I just need to get out there and get this done before the storms roll in today.

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I do hope you can save them toni.I am sure its caused from so much rain.

9. flower1lady2000

flower1lady2000 Seedling

Is there a spray or anything that will help this disease?
    [​IMG]
    Holly Hock Rust ( photo / image / picture from flower1lady2000's Garden )

10. toni

I have read that any fungicide that contains chlorothalonil, mancozeb, and sulfur will take care of it. But you do have to repeat the applications about every 2 weeks during the rainy season from spring into the fall.

Also, cutting off infected leaves, keeping them picked up off the ground around the plants will help prevent it spreading. Throw the infected leaves into the trash not the compost pile.

11. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

It's a shame to expect some beautiful flowers and to have to cut them down.:-(

I hope they come back. Is that it for the year? Or will they bloom later on in the summer? From someone who lives in the shade.

O.K. on the lighter side, I had to look this one up. I now know the definition of a meadow muffin. No horses around here to speak of much less a muffin.:)

Jerry

12. toni

Jerry, I originally posted this topic almost 4 years ago. The plants involved were the Malva sylvestris 'Zebrina' (Dwarf Hollyhock)
    I actually didn't loose all of them, just the large original plants but they re-seeded very well in the years since and the rust hasn't returned.

They are usually loaded with blooms in mid spring to early summer then again when the weather cools back down in Sept-Oct.
    I figured meadow muffin was nicer than what I was really thinking at the time. ;)