What do I do for winter???

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Anitra, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Anitra

Anitra New Seed

This is the first time I have had a garden over winter. We have thyme, rosemary, lavender, sage, oregano and mint, as well as basil. The basil I know is an annual, the rest are perennials.

This is a raised-bed garden in Zone 8: Seattle WA, almost downtown.

Do I just let the perennials take care of themselves over winter? Am I supposed to cut them back? Should I cover them with straw or other mulch over winter? Should I dig them up and bring them inside? What does "divide and replant" mean, and should I do it, and if so how to I do it?

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. petunia
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Anitra, this is what I do with my herbs here in zone 5.
    Thyme, Lavender, Sage, Oregano and Mint are perennial here. I usually bring in enough to dry and fill my spice jars with. I usually just leave them as they are and do any trimming in the spring when I see what has died off over the winter. Rosemary is an annual here that I have overwintered indoors for about 6 years now. I've never had any luck over wintering Basil indoors.
    Hope this helps a little.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh yes, I forgot to add:
    I divide my herbs when they get too large for their space. Simply dig up the clump, split it into the size you want and replant where you want it. (Good time to share with friends :) ) I like to do this in the spring. I wouldn't recommend trying this with the Lavender or Sage, but Oregano, mint, and Thyme will do well.

5. Anitra

Anitra New Seed

Again, you've reassured me, Netty. :) I'm going to stop fretting and just watch to see what the plants do. Whatever happens, I'll learn a lot from this winter.

Advertisement
  6. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Thanks Netty, i have some large clumps of Lavendar and you just answered a question i was going to post.

7. LavenderDawg

LavenderDawg New Seed

Insulate base of lavender plants and other herbs with sand

I use sand to insulate the base of my lavender plants and other herbs like sage, thyme and rosemary here in North Carolina. We're already getting some very cold nights here in the mountains.

Along with providing insulation these herbs like grainy, sandy soil.

8. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

The rosemary should do fine, we are ideal for that. For raised beds,I'd pack a bit of mulch on top of the soil just to be safe. We are in for an odd winter, and I don't know how long you've lived in the area, but several years back we had an ice storm that had everything encased in ice- wouldn't surprise me if that happened again.
    Hope that slope by the tracks that you've mentioned isn't giving you any grief by trying to wash away!

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I remember your ice storm. We could watch news of it and the damages for several days.

10. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Yeah,, it was amazing. No power for more than a week, and ice encasing everything, turned it in to an amazing ice-sculpture-park. But I'd love to avoid a repeat performance!!

11. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

The herbs mentioned are pretty hardy for the Seattle zone. Once acclimated, the sage should do beautifully, but a hint there: they have a tendancy to become very "woody" after 5 years, is a good idea to replace them when they do. As I live in zone 4, I container grow rosemary and lavendulas, overwinter them inside due to the winters being just too harsh for these herbs in this locale. Rest are are their own (chives; catnip; horehound; garden sage; valerian; tarragon; etc.) but do recieve a leaf mulch just in case! Are situated in a raised bed that doesn't recieve too much light in winter, but they thrive in their somewhat sandy soil. Raised most of them from seed, overwintered the "babies" in an open outside bed..pots and all..til spring when they were permanently planted: think this helped with "hardening" the youngsters. Was surprised to see, yesterday, new shoots on the horehound, and had a neighborhood feline looking for the catnip to "enjoy" again! All in all, I think your herbs will winter just beautifully.