What is a weed?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by i love bugs, Jan 18, 2006.

1. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

I was just reading Tonis blog about her hollyhocks/ mallow. Just thought I d ask the members what is a weed? 8) Bugs

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Jewell
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. KK Ng
      Replies:
      Views:

3. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

A plant that is growing in the wrong place....or so I have always been told. But, to me, a dandelion will always be a weed! And ground elder...and couch grass....and mares tail.....and clover......

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

....creeping buttercup....thistles.......stinging nettles and next door's bindweed!!

5. Under the Arbor

Under the Arbor New Seed

I hate those little wild onion/garlicky things that are virtually impossible to get rid.

Advertisement
  6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

My mother willingly planted those many moons ago....and has been digging them up ever since! Another plant she is unable to weed out is acanthus! Such a lovely structural plant, but like a dandelion, it has thick succulent roots, and everyone you leave behind grows a new plant!

7. eileen

A bit like my Crocosmia EJ!!! I planted some against the house wall years ago now they've spread all along the side of the house!! I love Crocosmia (Montbretia) and have just planted some 'Lucifer' but I understand that they don't spread as quickly as Crocosmia Crocosmilflora - well let's hope so anyway. :rolleyes: This time I planted them in a bed beside the pond so they should be easier to dig up at least.

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Horehound! I know it's supposed to be a herb but I spent several days digging it out last year and it's back. It gets little burrs that cling and you cannot get rid of them. So, next nice day, I'll be digging again. Dooley

9. eileen

We have a plant like that here too Dooley called Cleavers. It has little burrs too and 'sticky' leaves.

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

To some extent the raspberry vines have become a "weed" popping up where I didn't plant them and don't want them. They did move themselves around the corner of the house where I had been wishing I had planted one to begin with.

And the ivy the previous owner of this house planted by the garage. We have pulled it off the wall a several times hoping to paint but the little suckers won't come off the wood. We need to really work on pulling it up again this year.