What is this flowering plant called?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by heather0315, Oct 3, 2013.

1. heather0315

heather0315 New Seed

Does anyone know the name of this plant?? We got them at Lowe's quite a while ago and cannot remember the name. We thought they had all died but recently they have started blooming and perking up! Would like to find out how to properly care for them! THANK YOU !

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from heather0315's Garden )

donna in nc likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Portulaca grandiflora or Moss Rose. I dont know a whole lot about it although I do love its flowers.

4. heather0315

heather0315 New Seed

Thank you SO MUCH!! I knew it was something Rose! Thank you thank you thank you! I love them. I have pink and orange right now and they are beautiful!

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Heather, the Moss Rose will reseed itself, so look for small, ferny looking growth next spring. It is a good container plant, too.
    Properly caring for them is basically leaving it alone. During prolonged periods of draught, you supplement water Moss Rose by almost drowning it once a week. For heaven's sake, don't fertilize, or it will take over!
    Moss rose comes in white, pink, coral, red, and purple. Very satisfactory plant for Texas.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

donna in nc and oubee like this.
  7. heather0315

heather0315 New Seed

I want mine to look all flowery and flowy like the above pic! My flowers seem to close up overnight and really open up during the day! Is that normal for these types? I was reading something about new kinds of moss rose and old kinds.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Heather I just noticed that you are in Flower Mound, I am in Carrollton so the growing conditions are the same for us.
    I have Moss Rose plants all over the garden in containers.

6-8 hours of full sun a day makes them very happy and yes the flowers do close at night and on cloudy days (not that we have had many cloudy days recently).

I think as with any other flowering plant, cultivating to create a little different look, I have seen some with double blooms. But the kind at garden centers are usually the old stand-by that is perfect for Texas conditions.

9. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I love Portulacas, I have grown them for the past couple of years. They are great in containers and baskets.