What is this on my succulent?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by fish_4_all, Apr 20, 2010.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I don't know the name of the succulent but I do know this is new to me growing on it.

This is the plant:
    [​IMG]
    These are pictures of what I can only describe as a popcorn looking pollyp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It just showed up in the last couple days. Only thing new was it did have flowers that had died off about 4 days ago. I have never seen this before. It is about the size of a pencil eraser and has a thick stem that looks a lot like the main plants roots if not exactly the same.

Can someone please tell me what my plant has growing on it? I hope I didn't mess up by removing the flower stems with this being some sort of male flower part. I don't know it would have mattered though because the flowers had all died and the stalk had fallen down.

Haworthia cymbiformis g. acilidelineata, Could be var. obtusa though. I found the name in my own OLD post. Didn't realize I had been on here that long.

2. Loading...

3. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Apon further inspection I now elieve it is a fungus of some kind, likely a mushroom of some sort. I had to actually almost break the surrounding stems to get to the stem but it is NOT like the roots, it is a huge stem that is yellow in color and the base is about twice the size of the top.

Has anyone seen anything like this in the fungus kingdom? Should I remove it before the bulb can have a chance to produce spores and it explodes?

I would post a picture but I can not get one to come out with it buried so deep in the plant. If I remove it I will post a pic.

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Well I got lucky and found it:
    Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, a common fungus in houseplants and greenhouses. From what I have read it gets rather large and would be a cool specimen to grow to to full size but I doubt I am going to let that happen. Too many potential problems with the kids, one has an asthma type condition, and my wife is allergic to certain molds so it is coming out as soon as I finish this post.

Check it out though, it is actually a really cool looking mushroom.

5. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Hey, I checked it out and it does look like a pretty cool mushroom. From what I read, it apparently doesn't hurt your plant either. I would probably let it grow if it came up in one of my pots.

Advertisement
  6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Well I removed this one but after looking at the plants I doubt it will be the last one I see. I saw at least 8 others that were really small so I will be seeing them again and again most likely. The top of the mushroom has a powdery almost pollen type substance on it so if you ever see them don't touch it or you will mess it up.

[​IMG]

I have never seen a yellow mushroom before so this was cool to find. Maybe I will let one got to almost full open to see how big one gets but not going to let one open just to be safe. It is in the house so spores would go everywhere. They are almost impossible to get rid of anyway so I will deal with them from time to time. Are kind of cool looking and the bright yellow gives a stark contrast with the all green succulents in the pot.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Now, that's really a striking colour on a fungus. :D Good luck with getting rid of it. I've never seen anything like it.