What to Plant Behind a Rockery?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Teddy_Edwards, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Teddy_Edwards

Teddy_Edwards New Seed

Can anyone suggest what I could plant behind a rockery?

There is a large fence behind the rockery and I'm looking for something that will cover up a bit of the fence, but won't look out of proportion with the rockery itself. I'm thinking of some dwarf conifers, but something flowering would be nice too.

2. Loading...

3. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Silverdo sage is a slow growing shrub that blooms after a good rain. I think it would look nice with rockery! With the silverado sage you get a shrub and nice blooms.

4. gardening_maniac

gardening_maniac New Seed

Sedum, Sedum, Sedum! Perfect rock garden plant! Very succulent plant and they look soooo nice amongst the rocks. If your gonna plant some in the rocks to, try Gold Moss Sedum-this will grow even in between paving stones and it gets really pretty yellow flowers on it. There are lots of different types of Sedum too so you could mix it up a bit with some tall ones and some lower ones. Send pic's when your done planting, can't wait to see what you do!

5. Teddy_Edwards

Teddy_Edwards New Seed

Ha! I just realised, after Googling on Gold Moss Sedum, that I already have two of these!!

They are forming a mat on either side of the rockery and threw up some lovely yellow flowers. The one on the shadier side wasn't doing so well at one point, so I dug it up, scored some of the root ball with a fork (as I'd seen this on a BBC gardening program that week) and re-planted it. It's now taken and is growing well.

I've been looking at a few Sedum websites and there seems to be many different types, all lovely too. I think I'll be keeping an eye out for them at the garden centre!

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Advertisement
  6. Teddy_Edwards

Teddy_Edwards New Seed

It looks beautiful, but does it go by another name in the UK? I can't seem to find any British pages ... ?

7. Teddy_Edwards

Teddy_Edwards New Seed

Ooooooh! I want one of THOSE!!!

That is fabulous :)

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Teddy you may want to try searching in our new Plant Research tool for [info=silverado sage]Silverado sage[/info] or [info=texas sage]Texas sage[/info]. You will get links to lots of useful sites. Hope this helps!

9. Shanna

Shanna In Flower

A friend of mine gave me some dragons blood and it is very pretty.But it is not very tall and has not grown any.I like jubabes suggestion on silverado sage.