What will be different or better in your garden next year?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by petunia, Oct 12, 2007.

1. petunia

petunia Young Pine

For me, I want to try some different vegetables. Broccoli, Cauliflower. We have opened up a space for more room this next year so I want to add more zucchini plants, also more rows of beans and can't forget about the onions. Yet I'm keeping the tomatoes so maybe put more of them in. Pumpkins would be a good fruit and cantaloupes are delicious.
    So many new things to try.
    How about you?

2. Loading...

3. redrose

redrose Seedling

I hope to next year have a garden! :D We don't have too large of a yard, so maybe just a little one. Or even just a few flowers.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Next year I'm going to grow more of the things that we eat lots of...potatoes, leaf lettuce, carrots, beans, pumpkins, cucumbers and peppers. There will be a lot LESS tomatoes and zucchini! I hope that my Kale will sprout next year, and I will keep the same amount of cabbage, radish, brussels sprouts, and leeks.
    I've never had any luck growing celery so I'm going to admit defeat and give up planting it. I would love to add more asparagus and strawberries too.

5. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Hopefully I will get to gather enough leaves and pine needles this year to keep everything mulched and weed free next year. In Louisiana the weeds are really healthy and I haven't the time to devote to weeding that I need.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We've got plenty of plans. It's the time we lack!

We're planning a raised bed in the back yard, and a small pond with a Japanese bamboo thing in the middle.

We're half done with our Hosta walk. Hopefully next year we'll manage the other half.

We've got a pile of twigs, branches and stones right where we want two ponds and a small brook.

The large flower border needs rearranging.

On second thought I thing I'll draw up a five-year-plan.

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I think we all can relate to needing more time.now that fall is here we have 2 hours of less light at nite taking away the time we could be working in the evening. Droopy I'd be interested in seeing your finished product on your pond. Sounds like its going to be real nice with a brook.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'll post pictures when it's done, Petunia, no worries. :D Whenever that may be.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The major thing I plan on doing differently next year is to add more and brighter colors to the garden. Purples, blues and yellows, while gorgeous have proven to be a pretty boring palatte this year. I need to concentrate on adding reds, oranges and blacks next spring.

And I am going to get all of this ever growing collection of garden decor put out in the garden!!! I have way too much sitting in my closet waiting and waiting and waiting.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Well, different would be being able to get out and do whatever I want to any day of the week.I can't wait to start growing my seeds in my green house.and being able to plant them as the weather gets nice in the Spring.

11. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I think I will try to get back to vegetable gardening and grow some of the more exotic things you can't buy around here. Broccoli raab, radiochio, pak choy etc. Most of my veg. garden is now flowers but I could move a lot of that out front.
    Netty, we can't grow celery here in the humid South but we do grow that leaf celery that looks a lot like parsely. It's great for cooking.

12. Melissa1982

Melissa1982 Seedling

Well, I am hoping to have a better garden next year. We need to improve the soil, I wanted to make a couple more raised beds too.
    I would love to try to grow some watermelon or cantaloupe's. And I'd like to grow lots of strawberries. And of course tomatoes, peppers, salad items, onions, garlic, and I'm going to try to grow okra it's so hot here in summer I bet it will grow well.

But really, we have to do something with the soil before anything gets planted. There's lots of work waiting for us!

13. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I have made up my mind to do LOTS & LOTS of zinnias next year. The seeds that Glendann sent me were awesome! They were amazing so I plan to fill every bare spot with zinnias! I also tried a little pot of pink babysbreath. It was soooooo cute stuck in an old bucket with a pink geranium. I will definitely do that again :stew1:
    Deanna
    :-D

14. suzydaze

suzydaze New Seed

I've got alot of bulbs I've been moving I can't wait to see how they will look next year :D

15. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

What will be different..........

I am hoping my garden is more different this 2008.
    I have so many weeds this time, I thought I planted them......

:stew1:

16. suzydaze

suzydaze New Seed

:D I think I have a weed patch too. My worset is the grass, it's alwasy crawling into my flower beds :rolleyes: maybe next year will be better for that too...and I'd like to start a garden around my mother in laws bird bath, I took it over when she died. :stew2: