What's Blooming In My Downunder Mid-Winter Garden.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Bernieh, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Here in Australia, July is our mid-Winter month. In my particular corner of Oz, Winter is very very mild. The daytime temps. rarely drop below 20 deg C, usually it's between 23 adn 25. No snow, no frost. There are quite a few blooms putting on a display right now and this is actually the time of year when my annuals start showing off as well.

So here's a few shots of what's blooming at my place.

[​IMG]
    Pelargonium 'Caliente Series' and Impatiens hawkeri 'Celebrette Series' ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Strobilanthes dyerianus ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Antirrhinum 'Velveteen' ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Osteospermum 'Ecklonis Passion Mix' ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Azalea ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Gomphrena globosa 'Buddy Purple' ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Spathiphyllum ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh Bernie how I'd love to have such a variety of blooms in my garden during the months of winter. Sadly, here in Scotland, when the cold weather hits my garden becomes almost monochrome. Last year we had around 5 feet of snow so even if things flowered there was no waay of seeing them. :( Our summer temperatures are the same as your winter ones - on good days.
    Thank you for letting us see all your wonderful plants. I especially like your Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender,' Gomphrena globosa 'Buddy Purple' and that lovely azalea.

4. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Eileen, I can't imagine a winter like that. I've always lived in the tropics and never in a place that receives snow in the winter.

Mid-Autumn, Winter and early Spring are my favourite times of the year here. Summers are horrid and it's hard to get out into the garden. Right now I'm enjoying every minute of it.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Gorgeous set of photos. All the colors of the blooms look so "rich". I think my favorite is the Spathiphyllum.

Advertisement
  6. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Cheryl, I've just realised I posted a whole lot of pink and purple. There are other colours, but I do seem to have quite a bit of these two particularly.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Lovely blooms Bernieh!
    Oh my dream...year round gardening!
    We get plenty of snow here in Ontario and I'm willing to share :)

8. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Ha, Netty! Get back to me with your offer of snow when we're in the midst of our horrible Summer. I'll take you up on it then.

Yes we do have all-year blooms here. A lot of plants around my place bloom non-stop so there's always a flower somewhere.

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Beautiful blooms,..one and all,..some i never come across before,..well photographed.

10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A spectacular show of color. Thank you.

Jerry

11. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

I appreciate your kind comments, Philip and Jerry. Thank you.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Beautiful, all of them, at first I thought the snap dragon was a gloxinia, it has a nice open flower.

I'm right there with Eileen and Netty....snow,snow,snow....I had to shovel a path to the chicken coop everyday this past winter.... then I needed a boat for the spring monsoons were had :( record amounts of both in the past year!
    Does any of Australia get snow? I have never thought about that, so enlighten me, please. I just know that I have always heard of the heat and monsoons and cyclones. Snakes, spiders, dingos and other forms of wildlife I have no desire to deal with.

13. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

G'day Carolyn. Yes that Snapdragon flower does have a different form to the usual, which is why I'm now a big fan. I've never had this variety before, but I'll be trying to keep seed from now on.

To your other question, yes there are definitely parts of Australia that receive snow. There are only limited areas where this happens though.

The Snowy Mountain ranges which extend from southern New South Wales into Victoria and this region receives heavy snowfall every year. Tasmania also records snowfall in a few areas as well.

My home state of Queensland doesn't see snow.