Wheat/Oat Straw Bale Gardening

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Pinkiered, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I am a member of another forum...ok a few more. In this one there only one other woman that likes gardening so we set up a space just for me and her to chat.

Well, Last night she mentioned something and sent me the info on it today.

Im going to try this for my veggie and herb garden this year!
    ;)
    Here what she wrote to me.
    Sh is me. That my name over there. Its short for SisterHooker. Dont ask! :p

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That's amazing Denee! I wasn't even aware you could do this but giving it a few moments thought, why not :D Just think how easy these would be to move around as well, sorta like container gardening really. The pest prevention is a massive advantage 8) We live on a farm so we have plenty of bales every year. Maybe I should tell my brother about this but I presume he already knows and hasn't had the time to try it out yet.

Great post. Say thanks to your very helpful friend :)

BTW Denee I edited the subject of this topic so that it will be easier for people searching the Web to find this page. Is this alright with you? :?:

4. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

I worked for a nursrey during my apprentiship days (over 40 years ago :rolleyes: ) they had one part of the nursery which had been an old quarry and the ground was dead (polluted ) The owner tried straw bales successfully growing tomatoes , we had to dig out holes in the bales and insert compost . It was a very laborious job which was always given to the apprenticies , things have not changed ;)

This way of doing the bales seems a better way , a good post Denee
    8) Bugs

5. Kimberly

Kimberly Seedling

Hey Denee....Do you think you can do this with a mini sized bale for strawberries? :D

Advertisement
  6. contrareeone

contrareeone New Seed

I've got a couple bales of hay that can't be fed to the horses due to mold. Any ideas about using these for veggie planting?? Since I didn't buy the hay, I have no idea what kind it is.....It's just sitting around, waiting for a project, in my opinion! :)

7. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I dont know. I wasnt able to get bales so I have to wait til next year. All I can suggest is experiment.

8. contrareeone

contrareeone New Seed

experiment underway...........almost. The bales of hay are now on the south side of the house, waiting for the tomatoe plants. Need to go pick them up this week. Also have to locate my big knife in the garden shed.........need to saw some sort of hole in the bale. Easier said than done it seems.

9. Easygoin53

Easygoin53 New Seed

straw bale gardening

Tried the straw bale gardening, couldn't find ammonium nitrate, substituted fertilizer, was a disaster. Rotted my plants off at the roots. Where can I get the ammonium nitrate, tried all my local feed stores and hardware.