When a tree assists you (for free)!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by S-H, Jun 21, 2014.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Had gone to the bank a few days ago, to pay the renewal fee for a license (which otherwise would have lapsed). Anyway I fulled out the forms (in triplicate, sigh) - Made the payment too, along with the late payment penalty that got imposed on me, for which I only have myself to blame...
    :smt021
    But as I walked out, I forgot to ask the banker to stick a revenue stamp on my copy of the receipt. It's actually a very little known rule here, to have a 1 Rupee or 2 Rupee government revenue stamp (exactly like a postage stamp) attached on all receipts - But people often neglect doing this all the time, even though cutting this corner can hurt them legally...

Anyhow, not wanting to go into the bank again, I went to the post office and got a few revenue stamps from there. However I had no glue to stick it onto my copy of the receipt. So I looked around for a place where I could buy it.

But instead I saw this glue tree, known over here as the Gondi tree (as it's fruit has some very sticky gum in it). So I used that to stick my revenue stamp onto my receipt! :D

So here are some pictures of that tree, I am not sure but I think it's called the Fragrant Manjack tree. Anyway, as thanks I also brought a few seeds of this tree home with me - So I can assist this tree in it's natural propagation! :D

I am just posting about this here, as it really made me feel good, as well as appreciate nature a bit more. Sure, buying a stick of glue from a stationary shop nearby wouldn't have cost me anything. But I didn't feel like doing another long walk. Besides, this tree was growing right outside the post office - While the people inside were using store bought gum. I mean, how stupid is that??? :p

[​IMG]
    Gondi tree ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Gondi tree's fruit, (which is full of gum) ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Copy of the paid receipt ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

Frank, stratsmom, Jewell and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That's a great way to stick things together and, as you say, it doesn't cost anything. I wonder if anyone else has found out how useful this tree can be.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

interesting. What great tree. What else is it used for?

A long time ago people here used to use a cooked potato to glue things together. People can be really resourceful when need be... you did well. thanks for sharing your bright idea. We don't have this tree, though. I guess I 'll have to use a potato in a pinch.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That's great S-H! We get so ingrained in looking for modern solutions that we forget that nature can offer us solutions sometimes, for free. :stew1:

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

:D :D

I have had so much fun with this post...

You could have put my name on it as the author. :D It sounds like I wrote it, EXACTLY, word for word. I had to read it 2 times and then I read it to my hubby. :D :D We both laughed allot.

You are funny S-H. :D :D

Thank you for allowing us to laughing at you, and me....

S-H likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very cool S-H! I am guessing that tree needs a tropical habitat. Too bad. I am always looking for glue.

8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Actually guys, in the perfect world - That revenue stamp's adhesive on it's back should have been enough. And in the distant past I too have memories of seeing people licking stamps before sticking them onto something. But as with everything made by the government, it doesn't really function as it should... Which is why we today have to use our own glue/gum!
    :rofl: :smt044

By the way, that sticky gum filled orange colored fruit of this Gondi tree is edible. Somewhat sweet tasting actually. And can also assist in bringing relief when someone has a sore throat. However despite being sugary, ants don't seem to attack it much - Which is something I don't fully understand...

However many people today don't know about this tree, (even though it's a native of this area). I only knew about it because my father once told me that he also (in his childhood) had this tree growing in his home. And my paternal grandmother had often used it for sealing envelopes that would be posted.
    :stew1:

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Good thinking S-H,..isn't it amazing what you can come up with when in a fix,..that's a very interesting tree,.. apart from the edible fruit and medicinal use,..the fact that Ants don't attack the fruit is interesting,..i could see myself rubbing the juice of the fruit on my ankles when in an area where Ants are aplenty.