When to plant roses?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

And also when to move them, I guess.

I moved to this house in October. I posted a short while back about a rose bush in my garden and about how in the spring, when it came to life, it became obvious that it was some kind of climbing variety, but with nothing to climb ON as it was just stuck in a corner of the garden.

[​IMG]

We discussed moving it and putting another rose bush or two, of the non-climbing variety, in its place.

I'm in the process of looking for a trellis of some kind that I can put in between the front windows of the house, and moving the rose bush there so that it can climb the trellis. Once I've found it, and placed it where I want it, then I need to move the existing rose bush. I have several questions around this project.

1. When should I move and re-plant the existing rose bush, and are there any particular planting tips I need to know?

2. What type or kind of rose bush should I put in its place? (I don't want a climbing one, and I would love one that was fragrant. )

3. When should I plant the new rose bush, and will they be available at my local nursery when the time is right to plant one, or are they more a seasonal thing like Mums, for example?

donna in nc likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ronni, here in Texas with our summer heat, the best time to plant roses is fall, October preferably. If you have long spells of freezing weather, you may be better off planting in the spring.
    To move the climber--right now dig a 1' deep trench around its drip line (just outside the widest part of the bush)to encourage feeder roots to form. You'd be surprised how few roots an established rose bush has! Don't fertilize, but keep the bush well-watered.
    When it comes time to move it, dig down as deeply as you can, using the trench as a guide. Have your new hole prepared, and move the rose into it, keeping as much dirt around the roots as possible. Settle the rose in the hole, fill the hole 1/2 way with dirt, water well, and finish filling the hole when the water has drained. Mulch!
    Chamblee's has a lovely selection of roses with good descriptions. You may find one you like at their website: http://www.chambleeroses.com

donna in nc likes this.
  4. ellaloo

ellaloo Seedling

i love flower, so having flower garden is really attractive to me, until now i still do not find the proper way to manage it.

5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

OK, I have to ask some specific questions regarding what you wrote, which hopefully you, marlingardener, or someone else, can answer so I can clarify things a little more.

Tennessee weather is mild compared our more northern states, but it does get below freezing sometimes. And then there are winters where it doesn't snow at all, or get below freezing the entire season. Obviously I have no way of knowing which kind of winter it will be, but regardless we don't have long spells of freezing weather (assuming you meant that literally, and not just "very cold" weather) so I guess planting/moving in the fall would be OK?

Well, as it's a climber, with nothing to climb on, its "drip" line currently spans several feet out from the trunk because those long limbs that should be going up a trellis are currently just spreading OUT, which is why I need to move it. So I'm going to extrapolate from what you've said, and guess that the drip line is where the widest part of the bush would be IF those climbing limbs were actually climbing and not spread out. Right?

They have some gorgeous roses! Some are not available for ordering till Spring 2014, but there are still lots of choices that I can order now. Thanks so much for the link!

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ronni, fall planting for you is ideal. I'm not all that familiar with Tenn. weather, but your explanation of your area was great!
    You extrapolated the "drip line" perfectly (and congratulations on using a $5 word!).
    And you are most welcome for the link. I have Chamblee's roses and they are very healthy, well-rooted and cared for roses when they arrive. There are other suppliers of course, but I've had very good luck with Chamblee's.

donna in nc likes this.
  7. sanderson

sanderson New Seed

According to my knowledge, the best time to plant Knock Out roses is late fall or early spring and Late winter is the best time to plant bare-root roses.

donna in nc likes this.