When to transplant a clematis

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by jillh, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jillh

jillh New Seed

Hi,
    We think we are going to move our 5 year old clematis from one spot in the yard to a similar exposure spot but where there is a large gazebo that it can climb on. It is a fall blooming clematis with many clusters of mini white blooms. The vines are over 15 feet long I'm sure.
    I will wait until the fall to move it when the temps are low and the plant has finished blooming, we'll take a large amount of root ball and soil with it and use transplant fertilizer. Any more suggestions? Does anyone think that moving it in spring would be better?

2. Loading...

3. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I'll be having to move mine this fall too. as I'll be putting in a new greenhouse. I think fall will be a good time. Mine is atleast 4 years old. I want to see how big the rootball is and maybe divide it also. We also have a gazebo but I'm not sure if thats where I would like to put mine. Good luck with yours.

4. jillh

jillh New Seed

dividing clematis

Hello Petunia,
    I am interested to know if you have ever divided a clematis before. The stems that are above ground on this one are woody and rather thick. Perhaps underground I can gently separate a smaller section to leave where it is and move the huge part.

5. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I tried at the beginning of this spring, and took a small piece of vine and replanted it on the corner of my gazebo. It has stayed alive but did not flower this year. Maybe it will next year.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Jillh, since your Clematis is a fall bloomer I would probably wait until spring to move it. Our winters here are cold and if you move it in the fall it may not have enough time to get it's roots settled before winter. I like to make sure that things have recovered from a move before winter arrives. Clematis generally resents transplanting to begin with.

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Thanks netty-I missed that fact that hers blooms in the fall. Mine blooms in the summer.