where are all the snails and slugs?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by glasfryn, Mar 12, 2007.

1. glasfryn

glasfryn Seedling

not that I am complaining but where are they all I have seen only a few small snails and slugs whereas they are normally everywhere and some have been huge slugs upto 4 inches long.
    we do have a large bird population and a visiting heron and many jackdaws and one huge toad but surely they could not have devoured them all?
    G.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I am guessing that the chemical warfare many people have been declaring on yards and city parks for the last 50+ years have done them in. :eek: I haven't seen slugs come up after a rain in years, I do find a few snails in my yard tho.

Ever notice that you can't sit in the yard at night and watch lightning bugs aka fireflies in cities any more? :'(

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I wish I had that problem Glasfryn! Once this snow melts and I'm in my gardens, there will be lots of slug and snails! I usually find their eggs in the spring too.

Toni-I'm in a rural area and we have TONS of fireflies. But at my old house (subdivision) only 15 minutes away there are none. Wonder why that is?

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

toni ,I'm out in the country and have seen maybe three fireflies in the last 10 yrs.I always loved to see them.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Netty, the lack of fireflies in the city is from the pesticides sprayed on yards for years. The chemicals can't tell the difference between a bad bug and a good bug so it kills them all. And the firefly larvae eat the snail and slug larvae....no snails or slugs means no food for the firefly larvae.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Makes sense Toni! I am surrounded by "certified organic" land so I guess that's why I have lots of bugs. (I've seen the strangest bugs since moving here, things I've never seen before!)

8. glasfryn

glasfryn Seedling

we don't see any fireflies here in wales pity as they would add something,
    plenty of bats though.
    G.