Which of you are cursed/blessed with a.....

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by fatbaldguy, May 29, 2011.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

spousal unit, significant other, or partner that thinks they know how to garden; but have absolutely no idea, skills, or knowledge about it?

We are constanly having dust-ups about flowers that she wants in certain areas. She refuses (yes refuses) to recognize that plants have specific needs when it comes to light, water, and soil conditions. She just wants what she wants.

I am constantly informed that I need to think like a woman or a decorator when it comes to the flower gardens. :rolleyes: Just in for a lunch break, now back out to the gardens till supper.

FBG

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My mama was like that. The flower or shrub was supposed to grow where she wanted it to be, not where it wanted to be! I tried and tried to explain to her, but she was, well, shall we say stubborn?
    Don't worry about it. Let your wife plant what she will where she will, and Mother Nature will teach her to listen!

carolyn likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi FBG, I agree with Marlingardener.... Let her plant them where she wants them. Don't give her any "see, I told you so" everytime they die. Just let it go. My husband doesn't really think that way about flowers.... BUT earlier this winter he made the comment "I know just enough to be dangerous around here" the next day I noticed that he had pinched our crop of hanging basket tomatoes. You usually pinch the center out to make a nice bushy plant. He pinched the center AND ALL the side shoots. needless to say,"Yes", he knew just enough to be dangerous and make a mess, but he learned his lesson from it. He was so excited to get his crop in and started to have theses baskets for our first farmers market, with RIPE tomatoes, you know, but alas, it took so long for them to recover they are just now getting tomatoes on them.
    So the same may hold true for the flowers, They will grow if it is a suitable site for them. If not, well just say " I think they needed more/less of the sun or moisture whatever it is and let it go. Maybe it would be easier and she would eventually "get it". :stew1:

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My input for that scenario.... let her have her own garden area. She can do what she wants, plant what she wants. She'll learn by doing. Hopefully not too many plants will suffer in the meantime!
    ;)

Advertisement
  6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Glad to admit he has no knowledge or interest in gardening. :) He knows it is my thing, which I love, so I have a free reign to do as I please. He will buy me plants, sometimes suitable, sometimes not, but I don't care. He is great at the DIY in the garden, and he will sometimes cut the grass, but will always water. He doesn't know a weed from a shrub, which he readily admits, but whilst I am working away in the garden, he will keep bringing me drinks, entertain the kids if they need it, do household chores, or sit and natter to me whilst I potter. He is a perfect gardening partner. :)

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'm glad to say my DH isn't interested in gardening either. He does like to plant trees and we have a big enough property that he can plant them anywhere he wants out in the FRONT yard - my gardens are mainly in the back/side yards :)

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

My wife does not do gardening, she tried weeding once till I stopped her as the forget-me nots dropped into the weeding bucket. Just as well, worms are not her friends.

Jerry

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'm just thrilled that Hubby has the veggie garden to tend to. When he tries to tell me what I should be doing in my area... all I have to do is point in the direction of the garden. And it works both ways. I was trying to tell him how my uncle had his cucumbers growing on trellis or fence instead of on the ground. He just pointed me towards my flower garden.
    Now.... if only countries/nations could just learn this technique! :-D

marlingardener likes this.
  10. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

thanks to all for the replies. I just needed to vent for a bit. The missus doesn't dogardening. She makes a great sidewalk superintendant though.

Fait-accompli garden beds are from plants that just arrived and I had'nt the spot for them. Funny how gardens grow that way.

I had been hoping to interest one of the g-kids in gardening so I could have some assistance. No luck with that. They all think food comes from the grocery store. Perhaps I'll contact the local trade school and see if one of the horticulture students is willing to volunteer.

edited for spelling and syntax. I'm not with it today.

FBG

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, I hope any "help" from here helps. Either way, Glad to let you vent about it. We all sometimes just need to do so and not cause offense or hurt feelings with the "party" who is distressing for us in this situation. (it's much easier to not have to "mend the fence")

12. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Amen Sister :!: :-D