Whilst the sun's turned on

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by devonpete, Mar 4, 2008.

1. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

I thought I'd grab some garden shots whilst the sun's out, which is rare at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New this year are stepping stones by the stream, a new path across the circular bed by the house (as I couldn't get to the middle last year and yank out all the weeds), and I've started to address the plain look of the pergalo with cream coloured nylon washing line. The pink topped bush by the pergola is a new bamboo I planted last week called 'Heavenly Bamboo'. Oh, and I've repositioned my three (so far) bonsais on individual brick islands beside, and in, the pond.
    The wooden heron is now anchored in concrete which is hidden under cobbles. He won't be going anywhere now, after the winter gales took him for an unscheduled walk.

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Pete there is something missing from your garden!!!

ME!!! :D

Oh how I wish I could see it all in 'real life as it just keeps getting better and better.' Do keep showing us more photographs as the seasons change. I think your garden is a real credit to you. :-D

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So many things to see and enjoy in your garden Pete. You certainly have been busy, the added design to the pergola is just perfect.

The Heavenly Bamboo is commonly called Nandina here and while some landscape designers will turn their noses up at it, I think it certainly has it's uses in the proper place and yours looks great where it is.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I want to sit beside Eileen by the pond and just enjoy the loveliness of it all. :) Poor heron, I'm glad you got it sorted now.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Make room for me Droopy and Eileen, I'd like a seat too!
    Looks fantastic Pete!

6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You have really out done yourself.It just gets better and better.reserve a seat for me.

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

It really looks nice. You can tell you have been busy in your garden. ;)

8. mtathome

mtathome Seedling

What a fun place to putter around in, so much to see, love the pond!

9. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Amazing! Beautiful! You've done so much with your space, and none of it looks cluttered or unbalanced which is a feat in itself. The water and the bamboo gazebo-structure are my favorites.

10. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

Pete, you need to do a repeat of your cozy, welcoming oasis for me in my garden. It is so inviting, I would sit a spell if I came to visit. It seems so peaceful there and I know those planters will be brimming with even more color as the months go by. I enjoyed the view.

11. WTxDaddy

WTxDaddy In Flower

beautiful

A beautiful yard, there. I also thought the heavenly bamboo is the same as nandina. Then I remembered, seeing it tagged both ways in nurseries. I've got a hedge of the stuff planted by the original home owner and it's trying to spread. I may be pulling some up & giving it away.

12. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Thanks for all your kind words.
    I still have an 'unusual' feature up my sleeve which I hope to get going this year. On the side of the garage, looking into the garden, is a double window. As I don't require light in the garage, I've already made an enclosed display area behind the glass. I aim to turn it into a 1920's style garden and hardware 'shop window' - displaying old (repro) seed packets, antique garden hand tools, and any odds and ends which fit in. Old packaging styles appeal to me as a former graphic designer, and so here's an opportunity to install a colourful collection under glass. I'd also like to add a curved painted sign above the window to complete the 'shop' image. But don't know what to call it yet.
    The comment about having a lot in the garden without being too cluttered is interesting, and I think the reason for this is because early on I designated three distinct circular areas - all roughly the same size, as 'rooms'. Even the pergola is to the same radii as the gravel 'room'. I won't pretend to be a garden designer, but it seems that as long as any items are kept within their own 'room' (like arranging a lot of furniture so it looks happy), then the whole garden looks more organised and 'designed'.
    I shall be going for bought in bedding plants this year instead of seed rearing. My greenhouse is only small and can't cope with loads of seed trays at one time, and i don't want cold frames cluttering the garden. Last year I ended up with far too many plants. I'd rather get what I need and have done with it.

13. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Totally charming.
    You have a bautiful garden. Thanks for 'allowing' all of the Stewbies to visit your garden. :)

14. ericajones80

ericajones80 New Seed

i like your garden....its beautiful. It looks so cozy

15. Sapphire

Sapphire Seedling

Guess you might need to purchase some lounging chairs for us all since there isnt a ton of seating around the pond ;) Be prepared for an ambush in the back! Beautiful work..hope you have time to just sit and enjoy it as often as you can!