White ragged flowers - what is the name?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by StarrLane, Jul 13, 2009.

1. StarrLane

StarrLane New Seed

[​IMG]
    The stems of these individual flowers are approx. 4" high. ( photo / image / picture from StarrLane's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

They look like dianthus to me. We used to call them "Pinks" but now they come in all colors. I didn't have white ones this year. dooley

4. StarrLane

StarrLane New Seed

Thanks, Dooley. It's funny that you mentioned the color pink, because I'm certain that the seeds that I picked last year were from pink flowers...and yet this year's first flower is white! I'm puzzled by that...but more are in the bud stage and I'm excited to see what colors they will be!

5. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

It has to do with genetics. If you got seeds from a pink flowered plant and then raised white flowers from them, that means that the color pink is the dominant allele and the color white is the recessive allele. And according to Mendel, that would give a 3:1 ratio where you would get pink 3/4 of the time and white 1/4, because you got the seeds from from a plant whose parents were either pink and white or pink and pink with one or both parents having the recessive allele for the color white. :)

Advertisement
  6. StarrLane

StarrLane New Seed

Thank you, Jon. The info you provided took me back to grade 9 botany class! Clearly I should have paid more attention back then. Thanks for taking the time to write and explain.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It's interesting to hear the more scientific aspects of gardening. Botany... that was a long time ago for me. Thanks Jon! That's cool that you shared that.

8. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Yall are welcome. :stew1: I was actually supprised I remembered any of that, lol. :p