Who says teens are lazy?............

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by luvdirtyhands1, Apr 28, 2012.

1. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

I hired my 16 yr. old neighbor to help me do a major overhaul of all my flowerbeds. This kid is SO reliable & always willing to do a little extra. I've wanted two gosh-awful weeds ( they're actually some kind of tree saplings) taken out of one bed for about 2 years & of course they just kept getting bigger! I tried my best last spring to get them out, but I just didn't have the muscle. I told Evan that if he couldn't get them out I was going to chain them to my pickup bumper, floor it & pull the devils out! Well, he got both of them out today! Yahoo! He had to dig a long trench into the lawn to get all the roots, but I could care less. It's a lot easier to fill trench with soil & re-seed that area! I don't know what i'd do without this kid's help.

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It sounds as though you have the perfect helper there - maybe (when he shows you how ;) ) you could post a piccie of Evan too.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That is so awesome for you. I have a teenager (actually, I have 3 of them,)....I don't know what would do without him, he is a worker, too. Glad to hear there a few of them around.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

What a great help! So does Evan have an interest in gardening, or he just likes to dig? I find that it is getting harder and harder to find teens that enjoy gardening (getting dirty!) Most teens these days seem to have their heads stuck in their laptops...

Advertisement
  5. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

I think, at first, it was just a way to earn some extra money, for Evan. However, now he checks out our progress, asks what's this plant & that plant, asks how I take care of them & seems to be very proud of our accomplishments. Maybe i've planted the seeds of a future gardener!

Frank, stratsmom and Netty like this.
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

luvdirtyhands1, That is really nice. Sounds like a really nice kid. You are very lucky to have him for a neighbor. Maybe one day we will become a member here. Won't that be cute.

Barb in Pa.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Sounds like a great guy. Always great to hear there are teenagers with a helpful character. His parents did a good job!

8. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I wish I had a neighbor like that! We don't have any kids around that are teenagers any more. We have little guys that will be teenagers in a few years but I don't think they will be very helpful, they are kind of on the lazy side :rolleyes: I did read in the classifieds that one teenage boy and his friend are looking for work. I might inquire and see if they are interested in painting my garden shed. :p

9. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

Yeah, he really is a great kid who's had a pretty tough start in life. His mom was an alchoholic & had some really major issues & was raising the two kids alone. However, to give her credit, she has really worked to get herself back together. She's quit drinking for almost a year, now. She's working two jobs, lost weight & is just really turning her life around & being a much better mother. She knows she's got a great kid in Evan; she always says so.

Frank, stratsmom and carolyn like this.