Why I’m So Blue

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jul 20, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It is hot here…hot and humid. The kind of day when you can sit in the shade abd when you turn a book page, you break out with perspiration. No wait, “sweat”, in the garden its sweat and at home it is perspiration.

Well, a great harvest— four sorts of beans, some spuds, some toms and a lonely courgette.
    IMG_4249.jpeg

Oh yes, and the first load of blueberries.
    On the bush number one:
    IMG_4253.jpeg

A close-up:
    IMG_4252.jpeg

This is what the two bushes yielded, 1,9 kilo. This made eight jars with a saucer left over for brekkie or with yoghurt. I don’t mind being this kind of “blue”.
    IMG_4264.jpeg

There were also plums given us by one of the fellow gardeners who knew that our young tree only yielded six fruits this, its second year. What a nice lady.

t’Was a good, hot and sweaty day in the garden, but once home all the beans, blueberries and plums had to be processed. Gimmie strength.
    This ancient passe-vite is what we used to grind the plums after boiling. It is an old Belgian invention, but we still use it. Call me old-fashioned.
    IMG_4247.jpeg

The plums:
    IMG_4241.jpeg

IMG_4242.jpeg

It was a late night. We now have enough plum jam.
    We slept very well.

Oreti, Nate77, Melody Mc. and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yum! Nothing like a good harvest from your garden!
    I wont have to worry about that here ... the birds took every last blueberry from my small bushes!
    Love your old food mill! They sure don't make stuff to last like they used to.

Oreti, Nate77, Melody Mc. and 3 others like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Netty, this is the only reason I had any. I placed them over the bushes at the first cyanotic blush.
    IMG_4135.jpeg

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good idea! I'm going to have hubby build a caged top for them, with chicken wire, for next season. It seems like I'm forever trying to keep wildlife away from my crops! This years rabbit infestation is finally under control - I think! I have finally been able to keep them out of the veggie garden at least.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Boy, oh boy— rabbits! I am so glad you have been successful keeping those bad guys out of your veggies…but now the fruit. It was painful to read that you lost all your berries this year. Dreadful. Good luck next year.

Netty, Oreti, Melody Mc. and 2 others like this.
  7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    @Sjoerd looking fantastic. What a wonderful harvest. Your bushes were really loaded with berries. Impressive blue theme going on there.

@Netty good job on deterring the bunnies. Last year the birds got my blueberries. So frustrating. This week I have been able to feast on the berries in small quantities. The mosquito netting works great and is lightweight and easy to remove for harvesting. It also keeps the deer from feasting on the bushes. All my berry bushes are in large tomato cages so I use bankers clips to clip to the cage and to keep the wind from removing the netting. Just another idea.

Pacnorwest, Netty, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Wonderful harvest Sjoerd! I'm using netting/blankets/mosquito netting also on my berry plants, as well as my brassica. You taught me about that. It's really saved my crop.

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and Oreti like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cheers Jewell. Glad you lied the posts.

Thanks Mel— I am thrilled that your netting efforts are paying-off this year. It is so frustrating loosing a crop.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.