Why I don't carry my cell phone with me

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Nov 23, 2012.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I leave our cell phone in the dining room. I don't carry one with me while I'm outside, reading, cooking or doing much of anything else. This is why--
    Caller: Hi, Whatcha doin'? Answer: I was cleaning the chicken coop until the phone rang and scared all the hens. Now I'm trying to untangle the pile of chickens in a corner of the coop.
    Caller: Just thought we'd chat for a while--I don't have anything to do. Answer: I'm trying to put out a fire that got out of hand. If you'll hang up, I'll call the fire department.
    Caller: I promised my son to keep his three kids tomorrow, but I have a bridge date. Will you keep them--they aren't very dangerous because they are all under four years old. Answer: No. Hang up.
    When I come back into the house I check for messages. That way I can sift through the debris and just talk to the folks I want to talk with. Saves a lot of time and temper tantrums!

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Too funny Jane!
    I usually keep my phone handy with me at all times, especially if I'm home alone. Never know when I'll do something to hurt myself.
    But, that doesn't mean I answer it if I'm in the middle of something. Anyone that knows me well, knows to leave a message and I will return their call... eventually.

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Funny Jane!
    I have to have my cell with me for work purposes, but they sure are a bother sometimes aren't they? And I do forget it a lot!
    Remember the days when a phone was on the wall, or sat on a table and if you weren't there to answer, you just weren't?? (I even remember no answering machine days!!) What would all these young people do without their gadgets to stare at?

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I figure the phone is for my convenience. I answer if I can but if not they can leave a message. Most don't. I generally have it in my purse so will have it for emergencies like when that man hit us a couple of years ago.

dooley

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh Jane you really made my laugh!! :D I don't carry a mobile 'phone (cell 'phone) with me either as it always seemed to ring at the most inconvenient times and I got fed up with it. Most of the time I forget I've even got one now.

7. ShelleyDN

ShelleyDN New Seed

That's funny. I too, have encountered callers who are like that. I carry my phone with me at all times except when taking a bath. Not taking any calls but I'm happy to recieve text messages from them.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Funny Jane! I tell EVERYONE that I don't know my cell phone number. I keep it so I can call if I need something while I am away from home. So no one can call me and I answer a nonsense call. Yes, I am busy doing nothing sometimes, but I really don't need any distractions from it. Thanks!

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

hahaha...good one, MG. I carry my fone with me all the time, but rarely have it on. I use it when it is necessary.
    I sometimes miss calls that I would like to have had, but I make it up later.

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I was in my (stall) and heard phone in next one ring.I have to :D When I heard her say just sitting her. Any one remember party line?You could hear small ring and could listen in on neighbors.

11. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Funny story Jane & Kostza.I was finally getting used to keeping my cell phone in pocket.Recently heard on AM news that they are reasonably sure it caused breast cancer in ladies carrying in bra.My cell is our only phone so I need to have it near.I'm going to get a holster to put it in.I got cured of putting in my shirt pocket when I bent over & it fell into bucket of water!
    I remember party line well. Had one when we first moved here.
    sNs

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ah, the party line. We had a neighbor who listened in on EVERYONE'S conversations. She was old and apparently had nothing else to do. As soon as a private line was available my mom ordered one.

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, I think my paternal grandmother was your neighbor! Grandma listened in on every conversation and then broadcast it to the town. If the "overheard" calls weren't exciting enough, Grandma called the local funeral home and asked them, "Who you got in?"
    Believe me, I do not take after my grandmother!

carolyn likes this.
  14. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I can still remember My GM say,. she neighbor was on line also.It's that right and say her name.Got talking in code. Or worse make things up.I got old crank phone in kitchen.Guy at telephone office. Said he took dump trucks loads to trash to be burned. Cost$$$$ now/

15. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I often wonder why I have a HOME phone these days. DH, the older kids and I have cell phones. The only time the home phone rings is at dinner time when the telemarketers start calling. I hate that!! I don't have an answering machine on it either ... I figure if it's important they will call back! People get really cranky because they can't leave a message but I really don't care. I prefer text messages ... short and to the point.

16. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

The most $$$ saving things we have done was to ditch our land line & dish TV.Just get sit down to eat & telemarketers would call.Someone wanting to sell siding & windows or update our auto warranty.
    If there were any movies fit to watch I can get on my computer.And so many TV series shows I could never watch them all.All free & if I want to pause & catch later just click!I used to watch so many good garden & quilting shows on HGTV.I would tape & see later.When those went,goodbye dish!
    sNs