Wild Hogs came to visit... and it ain't pretty

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by cherylad, Sep 30, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

We recently ran an article in the newspaper where I work about Feral/Wild Hogs invading one of the cities.
    http://ourtribune.com/article.php?id=15854
    And I made the comment along the lines of how they made my armadillo damage seem like nothing and glad I didn't have to worry about them.
    Well.... guess who came calling last night?
    This is where the veggie garden was (nothing was left growing but grass). So no "real" damage done.

[​IMG]
    hog invasion ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    more hog damage ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I swear, if I saw this kind of damage to by flower beds, I'd collapse on the ground and bawl my eyes out.
    And then go nuts! :smt068
    Hopefully they won't dig under the fence or take the long way around through the neighbors pasture and come over to my yard.
    But I will be leaving the outside lights on and the dog will be sleeping outdoors (instead of indoors like she did last night).

stratsmom, Jewell and donm like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

OMG. Looks like they did a good job of tilling it for you.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Awww Cheryl all your lovely veggies gone!! :'( Let's hope, now that they've eaten them all, they'll move on and won't come back. What a thing to find this morning. :(

5. cherylad

Donna... that's the first thing I thought... at least it's tilled now. :D
    Eileen... there was no veggies... just weeds and grass.
    Actually there was one okra plant... and it's still standing! crazy.

Advertisement
  6. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

Texas is a BBQ state, why are there so many hogs left?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from jbest123's Garden )

7. cherylad

Population explosion in the last few years. And I guess they're being driven out by all the development.
    You're thinking like me...BBQ time! with all the rednecks and coonasses we have around here... you'd think there'd be lots of pork on a plate.
    (and those terms are used with endearment!)

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Feral hogs are a real problem in a neighboring county, but not in ours, thank heavens!
    They are dangerous to livestock, crops, pets, and ornamental plantings. A feral boar can weigh upwards of 300 lbs, and has tusks that are like razors.
    They are hunted all year round, with no "season" like most animals. In addition to being shot (and go for a shoulder shot since trying to shoot a feral hog head-on gives you one chance for a fatal shot before the "fatal" is not the hog) many hunters trap ferals, and sell them as boar meat to high-end restaurants.
    If you like, I can tell you about the time our plumber showed up with a cooler with a feral piglet in it. The plumber's mama had a business of buying feral pigs on the hoof, and one with piglets was brought in. I got out my trusty cookbook with illustrations and cut up a feral pig. Lovely eating!

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

cherylad, I am so sorry about your garden. I would have the gun in hand watching all night.....

10. Ren2012

Ren2012 Seedling

We have a problem with hogs here too. The only reason I don't worry is because my back yard is completely fenced in. They do a lot of damage!

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wild hog here is a delicacy because it is very rare but in the past it was quite plentiful. I love eating wild hog especially if it is made into curry or bbq. Those ribs were just simply delicious...yum!!!

Cherylad, I have a very simple solution for you. I noticed that your area is fenced but I have no idea how close the bard wires are. If the are close enough I don't think that they'll go under it.

[​IMG]
    Location of traps ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

This set up was very popular here among the farmers here in the past when the wild hogs were plenty. I think the traps can be set anywhere along the perimeter but make sure that is the only way the hogs can get in.

[​IMG]
    The Trap ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

The construction of the trap was very simple and during that time the make use of branches but here I suggested steel pipes because they will not break. Use piping because the hog hooves will slip and it's leg will be trapped in between the bars. Just make sure the trap is long enough so that the hog cannot jump over it.

If that don't work, I'll be coming over with my spices and herbs to make hog curry!!! :D

Frank likes this.
  12. cherylad

Barb...I'd fall asleep after a few hours. Not such a good watch person.
    Ren... my yard is only about "half fenced". They could easily get to my backyard/garden area if they just walked around to the front and other side.
    I'm in a very rural area (the Big Thicket actually ends just beyond our back property). Reports have been coming in from neighbors about the hogs. There's trapping and hunting going on.
    I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to wake up to total flower garden destruction.
    I was going to leave my dog outside overnight as usual so that maybe she'd scare them away. But came to my senses. I can always grow more plants... but I can't replace my Sassy Marie.

KK... we have 2.5 acres. Probably 1.5 acres is pasture land with just barb wire fencing. The back yard is seperated from the pasture by hog fence. But the front is completely open. There is an old falling down barb fence to the south seperating our open lot from the neighbors pasture... so that's pretty open too. It would take alot of traps, I'd guess.
    It's just so weird... never in my lifetime have we had wild hogs this close to the house.
    Just a challenging year for me.
    Can I have my armadillo back instead??? Or how about some more grasshoppers? Stink bugs??? :-|

13. mart

mart Strong Ash

Because we need more hunters !

14. mart

mart Strong Ash

No matter how you build a barbed wire fence,,it has no effect on hogs. Would take them about ten minutes to have a hole under it. Traps are worthless because you might get two if you are lucky, after that a hog won`t get close to it. They are smart creatures.
    Good thing is you don`t have to till or fertilize this year !

15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Cheryl you need either a .30-30 or a 30.06 to go after them....otherwise you just p*** them off.

16. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow! That is a lot of damage to the soil. I hope you find a way of trapping/killing/keeping them out.