Wild Oranges

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Sep 21, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Whilst picking up donated veggies this morning, I glanced over to the side and saw these orange spikes growing in a clump by some wild, neglected ground. My Bride popped over and took these two pics. Can you identify the plant?

I have an idea, but do not know for sure. What do you guys think?
    Have a look at these two fotos:
    52062EE5-9F0B-49C0-A913-5C8BEEA6D4F3.jpeg

…and this closer look:
    A8C7894D-C8C9-4E75-B497-6AE64180F32B.jpeg

The bindweed doesn’t make establishing an ID any easier.

Melody Mc. and S-H like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

They almost look like a fungus Sjoerd....or a spent flower of some kind. That's as good of a guess as I have :) I'd be curious to know what they are, and if they evolve in appearance from what they are now.

Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Those are the tips of gnome hats. Last night the gnomes had a big party. On the way home, they tripped in the bindweed and fell. They shouldn't be drinking so much mead. Now they are sleeping it off. If you look carefully under the bindweed leaves, you can see the sleeping gnomes.

Sjoerd, Logan, eileen and 1 other person like this.
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

They look like arum pistils after the spathes have fallen off. That's because gnomes design their hats like that as a disguise, in case they fall asleep under bindweed leaves.

Advertisement
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

:smt044

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

:smt044

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That was a great— you had me in stitches. I was so surprised how much you knew about gnomes, or as we call them, kabouters. We have books about them here. They tell many of their secrets. Rien Poortvliet made the books. If you ever feel the need to round off your knowledge, take a look. These books are also available in English.
    upload_2023-9-23_0-19-33.jpeg

I think those plants are Arums also. My feeling is it’s the Arum italicum. I think that I saw bits of leaves in two places. I think that the stems once had the berries as well. They do look peculiar, that’s for sure.

Thanks folks, for your replies.

Logan and eileen like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Thanks @Sjoerd for the reference about gnomes. It looks interesting. Around here, they understandably avoid most human contact. They have seen how humans behave. They watched me for a long time before deciding that I am an unusually odd human, so possibly safer than most.

Whenever mushrooms pop up, I know that gnomes are nearby. Sometimes I lay a mushroom cap on garden soil to see if spores will create a new colony. Even though the gnome community knows I'm an odd human, they only make rare and indirect contact with me. I think that's wise.

I was also thinking Arum italicum. It grows around here too. The berries are toxic. Gnomes removed the berries from yours, to protect innocent dogs and not-so-innocent children.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, we can agree on on what plant that possibly is.
    BTW— have your gnomes offered you a red point cap yet? I got one after years of belief. The thing is they purposely give you a cap that will not stand up, it sort of falls over to one side, and only Kabouter magic can make it stand like theirs. They make it look like a Santa Cap, so one will not be confused for a Kabouter giant.

Logan likes this.