Wildflowers!

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by dooley, Jun 1, 2008.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I didn't see a forum for wildflowers so will put these here. I couldn't believe all the wildflowers growing every where in Texas. I wish I could have taken pictures of every one. Across from Glenda is a field that is just full of wildflowers. I took pictures of these few because I didn't know what to call them. They shouldn't be wild because everyone should enjoy them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Glenda sees these every day. I envy her. We don't have wildflowers like these. We do have some, but not like these. dooley

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. margie12u
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Gorgeous wildflowers! I quite agree, they look a lot like garden plants.

4. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Those are pretty, I wouldn't mind a field of those,, or 3!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What pretty flowers!! I think the second one is really lovely and would have some in my wildflower patch if I could. :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

My goodness!!! I wish someone would identify them!!! I especially like the second one also!!!

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

They are pretty, but I guess I don't know too much about Texas wildflowers. The first 2 remind me of the Blue Eyed grass that grows here (except for the bloom color!)

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Dooley, there are some years when every open field is covered with wildflowers and along the sides of all the highways too. And where you were is only a small fraction of the hundreds of species of wildflowers we have in the state.

Netty, that does appear to the Blue Eyed grass. Blue is one of the colors that is very difficult to photograph true, but the flowers are a blueish purple.

Texas has 10 ecoregions and over 5,000 vascular plants have been recorded throughout the state. When I look thru my books on wildflowers it looks like almost every plant now cultivate for home gardens also grows in some part of Texas as a wildflower. The numbers and varieties of plants you see driving around the state is just amazing.

9. dooley

There were wildflowers all along the train tracks, too. The roadsides were covered with them and they just mowed them down. That was just sad. Texas has a wider shoulder to their roads than we do. They don't mow as much either. Maybe they should mow a wider swath here and there wouldn't be so many wild fires along the roads. I wonder if there are wildflower plant catalogs where you can buy plants like the ones we saw. I'll have to google it. dooley

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

11. dooley

toni, I found the last one in the Lady Bird Johnson wildflower site. It's called Horsemint or spotted mondara. I've had some regular bee balm but this is just beautiful and tall and sweet. dooley

12. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Beautiful. I guess they seem even more beautiful when they aren't your own 'local' wildflowers, when you see them year in and year out, you just take them for granted. Our garden plants are only wildflowers and weeds which have been bred to suit the garden, so if we love flowers, which we all do, then we are going to love these free spirited blooms.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I enjoyed seeing these very attractive wildflowers. I'd have them in my flower garden, that's for sure.
    Thanks for posting these.